• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Size - Cut at the muzzle vs Pre-Cut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lately, while shooting, I've been wondering about how patch size affects accuracy, if at all. My pre-cut patches usually show some lead at the top of the bore when loading, pretty well ensuring that they'll float away as soon as the ball exits the barrel. But whenever I tear off a square patch from a strip & load that, the ball is completely covered by the patch before I ram it home. It has made me wonder if the patch would stay on the ball longer and have some kind of effect on accuracy. Especially with my hunting patches, which are thicker and covered in beeswax/bear grease, the patch tends to stay in whatever shape I put it in. Has anybody run this kind of experiment -- larger patches vs smaller patches & their effects on accuracy? What was the conclusion?

As long as the patching is around the circumference of the ball and the patch thickness and material are the same, there should be little difference in accuracy on target. There is some concern that an oversized precut patch can catch in the loading jag and pull the ball off the powder. You can make sure the excess material of the square patch can be folded over the ball and the jag won't catch. Avoid a very sticky patch lubricant that will attach to the ball and slow the release of the patch from the ball.

I never had any experience with a patch clinging to the ball. I don't think it's possible. I precut my own patches and they are square. As long as the patch covers the ball where it contacts the bore wall I see no problem.

I can’t imagine it would matter much. The open end will catch the air and open up. Think parachute. My patches are usually found about 10 yards or less down range.

Back