• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bean rifle barrel...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill M.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Have been looking and thinking hard...Thought I wanted a Issac Haines but then I saw the Bean rifle posted below and found the Sitting Fox website. I really prefer the iron furniture to brass anyway.

So, how would it be to have a Bean rifle with a swamped barrel? Is that too much of a departure from the style? Is it likely doable? I have not, at first glance, found any of the kit companies offering that option for a Tennessee rifle.

I live near Bean Station, TN. Does that have likely any relationship to the gunsmith Bean?

A swamped barrel is always a nice touch on a long rifle. It not only makes it look more graceful, it is better handling. I know nothing about original Bean rifles so I cannot say if a swamped barrel on a Bean rifle would be HC.....but it sure would look nice. A swamped barrel certainly is doable but whether or not it is available on a Bean rifle will depend on where you get it. I don't know if Sitting Fox offers a swamped barrel on that rifle. Certainly, if you have a custom made rifle, the builder can put on a swamped barrel if you are willing to pay the extra for it. I would say that if you buy a kit and a swamped barrel is an available option, I highly recommend it. You won't be sorry.

Most kit companies will use a straight barrel cause its easier to inlet, but they will inlet a swamped barrel for an little extra, Pecatonica charges $45.00 for a swamped barrel. The best thing is to buy your own barrel and have them install it. This goes for locks also, Especially for Tennessee rifles, most companies will want to put a Siler Lock on it which is a totally wrong lock, you did to use a English type lock such as a L&R Bailes, Durs-egg lock or a Ketland type lock. I would buy these myself also and have them use it instead of the Siler.

The modern swamped barrel has much more taper/flare than the original Southern rifles, which were mostly in the neighborhood of about 1/16" or so. While the modern contour barrel will make a nicely balanced rifle, it creates some real challenges to get the wrist architecture even close to being right on a Southern gun, which is really important if you want an accurate representation. If that's not important to you, then go for it, you can build a good shooting, well balanced piece, but it will always look a little strange to anyone who is knows this style of rifle.

The Bean family history goes back a long time in the Tennessee area.

I've read that some of them built rifles as early as the late 1700's and Russell Bean built Tennessee rifles as late as 1870.

The early builds would have had swamped barrels and the late builds would most likely have straight octagon barrels.

Everybody's right!..... :hatsoff:
I will say, the swamped barrels on some builds look like small blunderbusses to me,pre-1800's I like large cal, 42-46" slightly flaired barrel.
Post 1820's, I like small cal, small diameter 42" barrel.....straight!
Armrakiller is right on those locks......it makes a finished difference! Use the correct lock, BP,TGIF....pipes can differ, as nose caps....then there's the PB issues.......ahhhhh....to PB or not to PB....that IS the question!!! :youcrazy: :stir: :rotf: :idunno:
Pick one up and shoulder it....the copy the heck outta the one you like........
Marc n tomtom

Take a look at one of Rice's Southern Classic Barrels
Next we have a new Swamp barrel we named the Southern Classic. It is available in 'A' weight up to .50 caliber. This barrel weighs in at 3 lbs. 13 oz. Historically this barrel resembles many of the barrels being made in the late 18th & early 19th Century in the Virgina Valley area. Such schools include, Berkeley, Hampshire, Winchester & Shenandoah Valley. Rifle builders include Sheets and Haymaker. Benefits of this barrel include:
light weight swamp ( 50 cal. 3 ibs. 13 oz.)
Compare to a GA "B" 50 cal. 4 lbs. 7 oz.
Minimual swamp like many of the orignals.
Sights can be mounted very low as most orignials were. At 10" - 12" from the breech, the barrel diameter is the same as 1 1/2" back from the muzzle. This will allow for a rear sight that is 3/16" high & a front sight that is 1/8" high!

PRICES: square bottom rifling...$205.00 or radius bottom rifling...$245.00

It's 42" long and you can see the rest of the specs at the link below - just scroll down http://www.ricebarrels.com/chart.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have sights right around that height on one of my guns. They take some getting used to, as, they are not easy to use for someone more accustomed to more modern stuff.

Back