• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barry Lyndon movie fakery.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still, do we not all return to dust? In one, two generations maybe, we are forgotten for the most part. Unfortunately, myths usually become stories of people who never existed with the constant retelling.

Edit: Imagine the above words being spoken by Reverend Runt during his funeral discourse.
Fun Fact:
the Reverend Runt is the same actor that played the band conductor in the Phantom of the Opera movie.

I’ll add to the misery. A lot of folks credit the daniel boone disney series as the reason for the popularity of muzzleloaders.
Then I found this ….
IMG_6811.jpeg

I've read where Fess Parker had two guns in the Boone TV series. One, a genuine muzzle loader (made from an early 20th Century African trade gun) for some scenes. And another made from a trapdoor for other scenes. The trapdoor sold at auction about 3-4 years ago. Don't know where the other one went. Amazing these modified trapdoors were used in movies from the 1930's through the 1960's.

Rick
DSC00034 (Medium).JPG
DSC00036 (Medium).JPG

In the Barry Lyndon Bullingdon duel scene when Bullingdon cocks his pistol and the hammer slips and the pistol fires, wouldn't the pistol have just gone back to half cock instead of firing? Single trigger, no fly. Inquiring minds want to know.

In the Barry Lyndon Bullingdon duel scene when Bullingdon cocks his pistol and the hammer slips and the pistol fires, wouldn't the pistol have just gone back to half cock instead of firing? Single trigger, no fly. Inquiring minds want to know.
Assuming the situation is real, he, being under major duress, probably had his hand wrapped around the pistol so tight, probably was holding the trigger back.
Just a thought.

I watched Barry Lyndon again just a month or so ago. It's still a good picture.
Stanley K was a film genius.
You need to suspend reality when watching the movies. They are not documentaries.

I've read where Fess Parker had two guns in the Boone TV series. One, a genuine muzzle loader (made from an early 20th Century African trade gun) for some scenes. And another made from a trapdoor for other scenes. The trapdoor sold at auction about 3-4 years ago. Don't know where the other one went. Amazing these modified trapdoors were used in movies from the 1930's through the 1960's.

RickView attachment 275454View attachment 275455
The African trade gun Fess uses is the same one Randolph Scott used in The Last of the Mohicans

The trapdoors were hugely popular for movie prop flintlocks etc as they could use blank cartridges in them. Plus the movie prop houses had tons of them sold cheap as surplus years ago too. Heck they even cut some up to make pistols out of them too. Watch some of the old pirate movies to see them too. They probably had the trapdoor pistols in many of these movies mentioned too. I do not see it as detracting from the movie all that much. I do not mind.

The trapdoors were hugely popular for movie prop flintlocks etc as they could use blank cartridges in them. Plus the movie prop houses had tons of them sold cheap as surplus years ago too. Heck they even cut some up to make pistols out of them too. Watch some of the old pirate movies to see them too. They probably had the trapdoor pistols in many of these movies mentioned too. I do not see it as detracting from the movie all that much. I do not mind.
It was actually a clever way to come up with flintlocks for movie use when nothing else but valuable originals were available during this time. Being able to use those 45/70 blanks would also save a bunch of production time not having to train actors or others in loading blanks for muzzle loaders and having someone keep the flints sharp. LOL The guns could then be re-used for later period western films by just changing the locks.
I've read that most of the mock flintlocks were painted a brass color as they show up as plain iron looking on the old B&W film.

Why? Were the Enfield's temperamental to shoot?
The Enfields imported here, were not British Gov't. standard guns. They were commercial ones from the makers in Birmingham; the quality may have varied somewhat, or been "seconds" in a sense. There are contemporary written comments whereby the Union soldiers preferred the Springfields, and would grab them at first opportunity. I'm not sure if there were more mis-fires with Enfields or not, but you're sure to see more comments from the fellows on this neat site.

Back