• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel swabbing between shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the way I looked at it too. Swab it, but don't swab it to clean it. I'm hoping to get to the range again before the next Siberian Express descends this far south into Northern Oklahoma, and I can test some more targets with my recipe. Like Dutch says, if there are 1,000 riflemen (and women), you will get 800 different concoctions. I sure believe that one. The more I shoot BP, the more I think each rifle is like an individual ”” all a bit different, all with different traits and likes and dislikes. It makes it a bit fun to find out just what the heck works for your particular ML. :hatsoff:

The Sergeant Major has put his finger on the the whole problem.
Treat your rifle like a new female acquaintance..
Each rifle that I worked with over the years was just a shade different from most other rifles.. That'd why over the years folks named their rifle Betsey. or some other lady's name. I suppose our female members have a different theory but
After a year of satisfactory fussing about I decided to see what would happen if I introduced a sheet of thin paper between patch and ball and discovered about a quarter inch reduction in the overall width of my groups.

I cannot explain why. Before, I had no burned patches,, shredding or evince of a too tho patch but the addition of .005 in additional compressed thickness had a perceptive effect on my groups, reducing them to a nickel sized groups, bench rest at 50 yards.

I then searched for some denim that was just that slight amount thicker (compressed) than the fabric I had used before.

Dutch

rhodbd.jpg

Made it to the range before the next bitter north winds hit and had another really good day shooting my .50 Renegade. I think I'm on to something with my between-shots swab. This is as good as I've shot. Again, same as before: my swab concoction is one part Murphy's Oil Soap, one part castor oil and 6 parts 70% Isopropyl alcohol onto a 2 1/2-inch square cotton patch to swab the bore.
On my five ball target, my load was the same as my previous target: 60 grains Goex ffg, a .015 linen patch, TOW mink oil patch lube and .490 Hornady balls .
Had a 10 mph wind left to right at 35 yards. Only thing that went wrong today was I lost my double set trigger. Not sure what's gone wrong, but when I set it, it only goes to half cock ”” won't pop the cap. So, I just used the regular trigger, which was fine.

SgtMaj said:
I lost my double set trigger. Not sure what's gone wrong, but when I set it, it only goes to half cock ”” won't pop the cap. So, I just used the regular trigger, which was fine.

Sounds to me like the fly is stuck. Probably only a dirty lock. Get a can of spray brake or carburetor cleaner, remove your lock and flush it with the cleaner. Dry it and then give it a light oiling and it should work just fine. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back