• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel shooting left bad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stronics

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 45 TC barrel that with the sights centered on the barrel it will shoot 4+" left at 25yds.
You can move the sights to get it centered but what would cause this? Bedding is good, wedge isn't overly tight, tang is making good contact. I've tried running the load up and down, different patching with the same results.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
David

A little more background on the rifle.

Is is new or new to you?

Has it been like this since day one?

Have you checked the sights well?

Case in point I made a replacement sight for the front of a rifle. The thing is that it shot consistently left or right at the time , can't remember which and for the purpose of this story it doesn't matter, which ever way it was, that is the side it always shot too!

The only way I could get it to hit was too off set the front and rear sight so badly it was driving me crazy.

I pulled the front sight and realized the factory dovetail leaned to one side. In other words the front sight leaned.

I reworked the dovetail but now it was too deep. Instead of shimming I went this manner! In the base of the front sight I drilled and tapped set screws.
000_0706.jpg

Here is a better view of how the sight looks and works.

I eyeballed it when I set it up and had to make one tweak after that. I locked the set screws with Loctite and it's been right there since the day I sighted it in.

000_0840.jpg

It took me once at the range to get it set straight up and down and hitting consistently when dead centered in the dovetail.

So what I am trying to say is examine the front sight well! It may be leaning and that is what is throwing off the sight picture. It was not originally obvious on this rifle. But think about it, that front blade does not have to lean much to create a 4-5" miss windage wise!

If it shoots 8"-9" left at 50 yards, ignore what I'm about to suggest. But if it shoots more than 9" left, consider that the barrel may be bent. Correcttion would either be bending the barrel or replacing it.

I bought it used from an "Old Timer", who hunted with it. The sights were off center then.
I see what you done with yours, it might be a way for this one.
Thanks,
David

Remove the barrel and lay a straight edge along a side flat to see if it is bent.
If it isn't, look at muzzle. Is the wall thinner on the left than right? If it is then the cause is barrel run-out and sight adjustment, even if pretty major, is the proper correction.
As asked, is this a new issue? Was it OK previously? What have you been smoking? :rotf:

When you shoot the rifle are you holding it straight. Might it be canted one way or the other?

How heavy of a load are you shooting? You might try a very light load and see it it improves the impact point.

Rifleman1776 said:
Remove the barrel and lay a straight edge along a side flat to see if it is bent.
If it isn't, look at muzzle. Is the wall thinner on the left than right? If it is then the cause is barrel run-out and sight adjustment, even if pretty major, is the proper correction.
As asked, is this a new issue? Was it OK previously? What have you been smoking? :rotf:

Rifleman was poking fun but so many times I see folks talk about something on this forum that the answer lies in a couple of unasked questions. This is a diverse group. From total newb to the most experienced. So sometimes I ask the question to keep the discussion from going array!

stronics said:
I bought it used from an "Old Timer", who hunted with it. The sights were off center then.
I see what you done with yours, it might be a way for this one.
Thanks,
David

The picture I posted doesn't really show it now that I go back and look at (angle of picture)it but the front sight is now straight up and down.
The sight was really made to compensate for a downhill/angled dovetail cut, not canter the sight! Once the bad dovetail was corrected it made the entire dovetail slightly too deep. I could have peened it in and possibly corrected it. I choose to do the adjustable base to make sure I could lock off the sight permanently, once it was adjusted!

However when I take a sight picture I take the top of the sight and in that case it might be doable but it will definitely look cantered over, to get the kind of adjustment you will need to correct that much off center!
Well that tells me it was always like this. I have and idea their is no correction other than sights, unless it is truly bent!

Any way I hate to say it but if you can't live with the sights being that far off to hit DC. :shocked2:

It will make a couple of pistol barrels. Sometimes you got to bite the big one and chalk it up too experience. A new barrel will eliminate the problems! :shake: Sorry I ain't got better advice!

You know I have heard that mentioned lots of times on this forum Wick but, I have absolutely no first hand knowledge of doing it, (bending a barrel that is)!

So I suggested a new barrel, and make use of the one he's got for another purpose to eliminate total loss!

Seeing as how the original owner had been shooting this barrel with the sights off set. That would suggest that the barrel has been like this for long term.

There fore if he can't live with the sights off set he definitely needs to go another route!

Before I bought another barrel I would check for run out or a bend in the barrel with a straight edge. If it's either you got nothing too lose in an attempt to bend the barrel.

You will have to solicit advice on that one on your own though because I have never done it or seen it done!

It's really pretty simple Cliff. The barrel ends are blocked up on a strong table, then the barrel is bent in the desired direction using a large C clamp between the table and the barrel. There are other ways also, but that will work on most. Most barrels are springy, and you have to over bend a tad to compensate.

when i got my pedersoli longrifle it shot about 5 inches to the right at 50 yards with the sights centered. so i simply adjusted both front and rear sites to compensate for it. by using both sights you eliminate one sight looking way outa place.

i dont think having your sights off center should be an issue. the onley time i can see it being a problem is if this is a display gun. but if thats the case, center them cause your not shooting it any way.

I would check and see if the muzzle was square .
Take small square and check across the muzzle from all the flats .

I have see barrels that had been shortened and not squared up that would shoot off like you discribe.

ol vern said:
I would check and see if the muzzle was square .
Take small square and check across the muzzle from all the flats .

I have see barrels that had been shortened and not squared up that would shoot off like you discribe.

I think you may have embarrassed all the rest of us by stating the unseen obvious. :redface:
Not only possible but very probable.

Any off square would have to be very radical to shoot that far off at 25 yrds. You would not need a square to see that it was off.

I'd thought about that when I was checking it out. The barrel is square at the muzzle, checked with a Starrett square from all flats across. Not off any. The barrel is straight, looking down the lines of the barrel, no bend percieveable.
Running a tight lubed patch I can't feel any loose or tight spots in the bore.
I appreciate all the ideas,
David

I've seen one gun that had this problem with it shooting to the right with both the TC barrel and the GM barrel. Thought is was strange to see two barrels from different makers doing the same thing asked others about it and none had an answer. In looking at guns at the range I think it is more common that you would think.

Back