• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adjustable hone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently did a CVA wolf barrel that was in the same condition as yours. I bought a adjustable hand reamer and started with it just barely cutting the rifling and made a complete pass then adjusted it a little larger each pass .The reamer I have has a square head for turning with a tool that you use for turning taps and was able to use 1/4 inch socket extensions to go completely full length of barrel. Took about 4 times to completely cut out the rust and pitting. If this is not clear just contact me and I will try to explain better
Sounds pretty clear to me. Did you go all the way to the plug or was it removed before hand?
With the condition of the bore on my barrel, thinking the breach plug is probably frozen/rusted solid.
Might be just as easy to cut the plug and maybe 1" off and re plug.

Sounds pretty clear to me. Did you go all the way to the plug or was it removed before hand?
With the condition of the bore on my barrel, thinking the breach plug is probably frozen/rusted solid.
Might be just as easy to cut the plug and maybe 1" off and re plug.
Removed the plug first .The CVA wolf plug is made to be removed for cleaning. Before cutting try soaking it for a few days in some type of oil you may find the plug can be removed also try to heat the area . Per Bobby Hoyt you may need to heat it several times before you give up

Hate to leave it set when it could be used as a smooth bore??
Anyone know of an "adjustable hone" that would fit the barrel to at least make it usable?
Before this extremity, a little honing with a lead slug (lead poured/cast directly into the barrel), some honing paste, and finishing with a mixture (paste) of vegetable oil and aluminum oxide powder may prove effective.
You can try this before proceeding with a first soft reaming...
If this doesn't work, you can build or install a smooth bore...

I DIDN'T demand or state ANYTHING and just didn't like the idea of the barrel not being used.
I asked a question and asked for opinions. Now I know more than I first asked. ;)
Don't think I would be going to YOU for help or an opinion. :(
You can't handle the truth. In the condition you describe, your barrel is beyond any process that would be of any reasonable gain when compared to simply replacing it. Give it to a smith that might beat into a tomahawk if you must see that it gets used once again.

You can't handle the truth. In the condition you describe, your barrel is beyond any process that would be of any reasonable gain when compared to simply replacing it. Give it to a smith that might beat into a tomahawk if you must see that it gets used once again.
Sir with all due respect you could be wrong as I stated before I used a adjustable reamer to cut a barrel that was in the worst condition than I have ever seem. I don't see how the op barrel could be worse and Mine is a very nice smooth bore now. My barrel had been shot and dropped in muddy water and never cleaned on the inside .It was cleaned on the outside and put away for several years before it was given to me. So you can see it had a lot of time to rust . So I say try it. It will work

Latest posts

Back