• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel protection for storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about but I'm looking for ideas on how to lube a barrel for storage. I had been using bore butter I know this is not a perfered method. I was shown this by a guy who initially got me into muzzleloading. My main concern is protection in storage but I also want it to go off first shot. I had one hang fire on me this weekend. I was leaning to useing ballistol or WD-40.

WD-40 is a water displacer, but not a rust preventative.

Birchwood Casey makes some excellent products for short term and long term storage, but it seems you are talking about short term storage?
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Barricade®-Rust-Protection.aspx

For a little longer term storage: http://www.galatiinternational.com/product/BI33135.html

And then for LONG Term Storage, I advise coating the bore with this after cleaning, BUT you have to use bore cleaner and get it out BEFORE you shoot the gun again.
https://ii.cheaperthandirt.com/fcg...handirt/source/7-40020_1.tif&wid=480&cvt=jpeg

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
After a through cleaning, a thicker coating is req'd for long term storage, unless every few months a redo is necessary. Thin coatings accumulate in the lower areas and require periodic redos.

I use Oxyoke 1000 Lube, but some gun care greases can be used. Actually what are we trying to do for long term storage? Mainly eliminate air contact w/ the steel.

On rereading your post, your concern is w/ short term storage and this is a lot simpler.....many bore coatings can be used.

I still use Oxyoke 1000 Plus, but there's probably a few dozen others that will work and as you'll see, many subsequent posts will espouse some favorite commercial and some "homemade" concoctions. Take your pick.....Fred

yeah max I'm looking at a few months. I know there are a lot of different options i was looking for a pulse on here for popular methods. After all you gentlemen are the experts of the web. :bow:

colorado clyde said:
I say that because I have guns that were treated with it and have sat for over 20 years....untouched...and are as fine as the day they were put away.

:shocked2:
Maybe you need to get out more :slap:

Twenty years :nono:

William Alexander

I just started shooting a new gun last year .....that I purchased in 1988....Brand new and unfired...all these years.

I was saving it for when I got old....Woke up one day and realized I was.... :haha:

Been shooting it ever since.

I use plain old motor oil on my revolver(gasp!!)I give the gun a look with a flashlight once a week.Works fine for me.

Of course you would need to remove oil before shooting.

You can pay a lot of money for those space age lube, but in the end all you need to do is seal the steel from contact with the air or water vapor.Air conditioned storeage no doubt is a plus.

I use Barricade and recommend it highly. I also use BreakFree from time to time. A can of Barricade lasts a long time because it doesn't take that much to coat the bore. Mine are not usually left idle for very long but a few months isn't that long and has happened a few times.

I use Barricade on all of my guns.

As was said, it only needs enough to totally cover the steel.

It dries to the touch and leaves behind a thin layer that seems to totally block off any moisture from reaching the steel.

Because it dries, it also has the benefit of not needing to be removed before the gun is shot.

It also does not damage the finish on metal or wood parts.

The dry film left behind does not create the hard fouling that can develop if black powder is shot on an oily surface.

The only sad thing about Barricade is, Birchwood Casey refuses to put the California warnings on the can/bottle so it can't be sold or shipped in/to California.

colorado clyde said:
I just started shooting a new gun last year .....that I purchased in 1988....Brand new and unfired...all these years.

I was saving it for when I got old....Woke up one day and realized I was.... :haha:

Been shooting it ever since.

Clyde

Just poking fun, if anything I am a lot worse than you.

So many guns, so little time.

William Alexander

Maybe time for a yard sale :grin:Make some room in that gunsafe!Multiple queans don't play nice you know!

:hmm: Motor oil should not be used. The oil has wax in it an will coat the weapon with wax. One can see this once you remove any oil. Just a comment. :hatsoff:

I don't live in California so no worries. :wink:
I was expecting more home brewed concoctions. I know a lot of people use Ballistol as patch lube but it doesn't sound like many use it for protection? How about Hoppes 9 gun oil any bad luck with that?

Back