• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel length decision help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there such a thing as too long?
025_zpsaf9d9762.jpg

All but one of my flintlocks are 38" and I like that. I've owned a 42" flintlock before and had no problem with it. But kicking around in a woodlot is a lot different than climbing mountains. So 38".

I think you will like the decision on the 38" barrel. I have a Kibler Colonial with a 43 1/4" barrel and a Woodsrunner with a 39" barrel and like the shorter barrel. Also have a Yorktown with a 38" barrel on the bench now. I do have two SMR's with 46" barrels and are a lot too long for me in the woods. They are alright on the range and for woodswalks.

I’m ordering an Iron Pennsylvania from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. This will be used for hunting elk in the mountains of Colorado and western whitetail in timber. My only other flintlock is a Lyman GPR which has a short 32” barrel.
I need your assistance to help me make a decision between the 38” or 42” barrel. It will be swamped so those are my options. I want it to be reasonably easy to load and easy to handle in timber (38”) but I want the look of a long rifle and the extra length might be good for sites/accuracy (42”). TVM said it will be under my top end weight of 9.5lb no matter what. What say you on the barrel length? I’m 5’10” barefoot if that matters.

I am 6’2” and ordered a TVM rifle with a 42” barrel because at the time I had read several articles stating that 42” was the proper length to achieve full power from Blackpowder. I have hunted in the Texas Piney Woods, West Texas Plains, and the mountains of Northern Arizona and my rifle has done everything I have asked it to do.

I've got both, and I prefer the 38" in every way. For me, that's due to the off-hand balance primarily. Making it easier to load, transport, and store (the 42" BARELY fits in my safe) are additional factors.

Latest posts

Back