• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie Needing Help With Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable than me folks can help identify this family heirloom. It is a .40 caliber with a 42" barrel. I hope to build a modern duplicate to shoot with. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
20230421_182511.jpg
20230421_182440.jpg
20230421_182406.jpg
20230421_182359.jpg
20230421_182336.jpg

I'm fairly certain this came from the western Va/NC area as this is where my family is originally from.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I ain't no blacksmith, but all of that steel looks hand forged.

Very cool piece.

Good luck getting your recreation built.
Thanks. I've built 2 from kits already and just need to figure out what I have and to try to replicate as close as possible. The photo on Kibler's Southern Mt. Rifle website looked very similar and I'm inclined to believe it is this style rifle with some minor differences in style. My rifle likely came from tha area.

I've never seen an off-side lock plate like the one on that gun; but like the fancy-work on the RH lockplate tail.

Neat piece, if only it could talk, bet it has seen some adventures in the Appalachians.
Family history says this gun was used in the Civil War. Supposedly the rifle was involved with a bear incident. Wish I would've received this when my grandfather was still alive. He'd likely know.

I forgot to mention the letters XIV carved into the wood. Perhaps some significance.

It appears the rear tang was changed from the wood outline and extra hole behind it.
20230421_200008.jpg

20230421_195928.jpg

North Carolina. I'll check my books to zero in where. Up in the mountain counties somewhere.
Thank you. That makes sense. My family was originally from Carroll county in Virginia, just above Mt. Airy, N.C. I appreciate any information you may have!
This photo from Kibler's website looks very similar to what I have.

Kibler Rifle.jpg

The rifle I have.

Family Rifle.jpg

Last edited:
Back