• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Leading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

40 Cal
Reaction score
I did a Video this morning showing Why i feel the importance of an Over Powder Wad, To show that when you Load a Lead bullet directly on top of the Powder that it will Lead your Barrel, It has done this with me EVERY time i have tried it, I admit that i haven’t done it that much simply because it makes NO Sense to me to Not use an Over Powder Wad? PROTECT that Bullet Base! After all, it is the Bullet Base that actually steers it. An Over Powder Wad takes just a few extra Seconds to Load, If you are trying to get the most out of your Rifle, I HIGHLY advise you to use an Over Powder Wad! Hotter powders like Swiss, and Triple Seven are HARSH on Bullet Bases.

You bet. Gas cutting is what really gets lead to stick to the rifling.
When loading the .458 bore New Englander with bullets from a gas check type mold the outer perimeter of the card wads are unsupported and then gas can blow by and then really really cause gas cutting of the bullet. Flat bases work better than gas check type castings and flat bases need cards too!

You bet. Gas cutting is what really gets lead to stick to the rifling.
When loading the .458 bore New Englander with bullets from a gas check type mold the outer perimeter of the card wads are unsupported and then gas can blow by and then really really cause gas cutting of the bullet. Flat bases work better than gas check type castings and flat bases need cards too!

I shoot Benchrest/Target pretty much exclusively, Accuracy is What i strive for. I get asked a LOT why i feel an Over powder Wad is important? I Decided a Video would be a Good way to show it. Some folks don’t feel they are important, I can tell ya they are! Not only to protect the Bullet Base, By Sealing the Gasses behind the Bullet you are more consistent/repeatable Shot after Shot. I pre weigh my powder charges as well in Weight Grains, I Swab Good Between shots, My goal is to make each shot as identical as I possibly can to the Shot before it

You get out of this what you put in it, My goal is to help the Guy that wants to get the Most out of his Gun, The fellas that are Good with hitting a Pie Plate across the Backyard are likely as good as they are gonna get :D

Have you tried a bees wax biscuit? Like a wax cookie, but easier to make. Just drop a felt wad in very hot, pure bees wax, no lube. fish it out wild something pointy, and put it on a piece of wax paper to cool. ????

Have you tried a bees wax biscuit? Like a wax cookie, but easier to make. Just drop a felt wad in very hot, pure bees wax, no lube. fish it out wild something pointy, and put it on a piece of wax paper to cool. ????

1/8” Wool felt is precisely what i use, I prefer 1/8” Wool felt over any other Wad Material.

Early on I used various conicals in my .50 TC Hawken and seeing the loads were for elk, they were "big" loads. Over powder wads were not used.

Noticed leading w/ both the MaxiBalls and Buffalo Bullets and I think the leading was due to the higher velocity causing the bullet to shed lead because the bullet didn't want to follow the rifling and lead sheared off due to minimal engagement of the bullet in the grooves.

Also I think there was blowby down the bore grooves.....even w/ the shallow .004 deep grooves of the TC bbl. Don't think either conical completely filled the grooves. Many questions are asked if a slower twist is sufficient to stabilize a conical, but seeing some of the slower twist PRB bbls have .o12-.015 deep grooves, blowby isn't even considered.....and can be detrimental to both accuracy and velocity.

The above rifle has shot a few deer and elk w/ the "big" load and no over powder wad, but I no longer use it because of the conical moving off the powder charge w/ a clean bbl. Now use a .54 w/ a PRB.......Fred

yes sir, I learned that from this forumn! everything I shoot gets a wonder wad over the powder. even roundballs, helps the patch to not get burnt out

Latest posts

Back