• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Channel Issue on a New Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jan 9th 2024 I finally got my swamped barrel down to the proper depth and aligned left and right, and to where the plug, when screwed in, will align flush with the top of the stock. However, it is stuck pretty good in the channel. Later today I'll pop it out and loosen the fit a bit. Next will be inletting the tang. I will have enough of a job doing this without having to deal with not knowing if the cause of the difficulty in removing the barrel is the tang or the barrel. I know the space between the end of the plug and the thread of the powder drum should be 1/32". For me that means 19mm from the plug-breech seam to the dimple for drilling. I checked the fit of the percussion L&R lock and already semi-inletted double trigger channel. There is absolutely no margin for error. Soot did finally work. I found that I had to put the barrel directly into the paraffin candle flame in order to get it to deposit enough soot to be worth the effort. The 1/4 " wide scraper I made worked!

I have had great luck with dry erase markers on a barrel to mark high spots. It is neat, not greasy or sooty and when your inlet is complete a stiff brush cleans most of it out of the inlet.
One trick- once you get the width of your barrel channel right STOP blackening the vertical/side flats. Only blacken the surfaces your working.

Jan 9th 2024 I finally got my swamped barrel down to the proper depth and aligned left and right, and to where the plug, when screwed in, will align flush with the top of the stock. However, it is stuck pretty good in the channel. Later today I'll pop it out and loosen the fit a bit. Next will be inletting the tang. I will have enough of a job doing this without having to deal with not knowing if the cause of the difficulty in removing the barrel is the tang or the barrel. I know the space between the end of the plug and the thread of the powder drum should be 1/32". For me that means 19mm from the plug-breech seam to the dimple for drilling. I checked the fit of the percussion L&R lock and already semi-inletted double trigger channel. There is absolutely no margin for error. Soot did finally work. I found that I had to put the barrel directly into the paraffin candle flame in order to get it to deposit enough soot to be worth the effort. The 1/4 " wide scraper I made worked!
Yesterday I got the breach plug installed. It took a phone call to Pecatonica for advice. I had to keep taking down the shoulder of the tang with a tiny square very fine jeweler's file (ancient/found about 70 years ago in our back driveway after a grandfather clock repairman had departed) with one side smooth. I used Prussian Blue and filed off the blue and kept refitting until, finally, the witness marks lined up.

Mina brought my old thread back to life, thought I may as well post a picture of the stock with the barrel temporarily installed. Shelved the project afterwards, saving it for a rainy day. Used a little bit of everyone's advise, so thank you all!

20240128_220722.jpg

Latest posts

Back