• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barking squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshusa

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Anyone try it. What technique did you use? LOad? Ball? Squirrel season ends next month and I'd like to try it.

I have taken squirrels both ways...
My brown bess with shot (1.25 ounce of #7)

.32 cal round ball T/C Cherokee

I liked, (and still do) the patch round ball myself...

There's more reward in taking squirrelzilla using a single ball...
grin.gif

Barked a squirrel just once. Had been deer hunting,a loud mouth squirrel had been chattering at me all day. So when it was time to leave decided to try it, needed to unload the gun anyway. 50 cal. 70g 2f He hit the ground dazed, but of the gun finished him. Squirrel on a stick.

If all ya gots a rifle
Load it with Small shot .
Been shooten a 45 cal long gun
like that for years
use a 410 cup and
Load 60gr each of 6 shot and ff.
Just get close enough is all.

just dont try it like my brother and i did when we were kids. we tryed to smoke him out had a pretty good timber fire boy was the old man upset it got warm in other places to if you know what i mean JD . nevder did get that squrril

As I understand it, the technique requires hitting the tree UNDER the squirrel's head or body. This would seem to require a large caliber (.45 and up) rifle, or a pretty hot load in a small one. I have never tried it myself, but an old gent of my acquaintance did one season and said it worked just fine. Made a heck of a hole in the trees, though.
grin.gif

I never bothered with it I aim for the middle I don't eat that part anyway....a bit messy but I don't mind that.

Back