• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Al

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently got a bottle of Ballistol from Midsouth. The bottle I've got STINKS BAD. I mean really bad. I wiped down a bore with it a few days ago and it still smells like Al Bundy took his shoes off in my house. Is this normal, or has it gone rancid?

-AL-

springer said:
Unfortunately that smell is The Ballistol smell...
Al Bundy's socks + menthol.
:rotf: :rotf:

I have to say at least WD40 smell good.

Ballistol is Amazing Stuff!!! It is excellent for cleaning wounds and burns. I keep my flintlocks hanging in my bedroom and my wife, who hates the smell, is sleeping in a room with long guns covered inside and out with Ballistol! :rotf: I guess she is getting use to it!

Ballistol works too good for me to be concerned about any ol' smell. Now, give me a good old bottle of Hoppe's solvent when it had benzine in it ... now THAT smelled liked guns and hunting! In fact, as the day nears when my Dad won't be with us anymore, all I'll need to do is open up the one old bottle he had for many years ... and many fond memories will come flooding back!

... you don't get that with Ballistol, regretably ... but Al Bundy's feet? Thanks, yeesh, thanks for the visual ... if not olfactory experience :surrender:

If you really want to clean out your sinus cavities and gag a maggot, get some Sweets 7.62 solvent. :surrender:

Mowrey50 said:
Now, give me a good old bottle of Hoppe's solvent when it had benzine in it ... now THAT smelled liked guns and hunting! In fact, as the day nears when my Dad won't be with us anymore, all I'll need to do is open up the one old bottle he had for many years ... and many fond memories will come flooding back!

... you don't get that with Ballistol, regretably ... but Al Bundy's feet? Thanks, yeesh, thanks for the visual ... if not olfactory experience :surrender:

Yep! That old Hoppes smell reminds me of Dad :hatsoff:

I noticed the company is located down on the coast of N.C., I've never used it but it must be good stuff going by reports here. wonder what it's made of? any ideas?

Mowrey50 said:
Now, give me a good old bottle of Hoppe's solvent when it had benzine in it ... now THAT smelled liked guns and hunting!
:hmm: Early 60's, I believe the change was made. A wonderful smell you can't explain or forget.. Just like the smell of real black powder and a spent PAPER shotgun shell.
Sorry to get off topic, but that is what happens when you mention the old Hoppe's...... :( :thumbsup:

Blizzard of 93 said:
I noticed the company is located down on the coast of N.C., I've never used it but it must be good stuff going by reports here. wonder what it's made of? any ideas?

It's mostly mineral oil. Mineral oil is a by-product of a lot of petroleum refining processes. This is further refined and has some additives mixed in. During the process of refining the mineral oil, the nasty things that cause the barrel to crud up are removed.

I used to use 10 wgt. motor oil for metal protection and lube. The combustion products of this left the barrel gunky after just a few shots. Most of my rifles needed cleaning after ten or so shots. My Mountain Rifle was only good for five shots before it needed a damp patch.

When I switched to Balistol a few years ago all of that went away. Even the Mountain Rifle will shoot all day without swabbing the barrel.

Ballistol works really well. I have alot of shooting friends that will use nothing else. I cannot stand the smell, its about a 10 on the gag reflex for me. However I think I am addicted to Hoppes. I found my self putting a dab behind each ear when I head to the range!!! Uncrichie.

I use ballistol regularly. Back when I was a cartidge shooter I used to tell my wife if she put Hoppes No 9 behind her ears she could get anything she wanted. Never took me up on it. Dang! Ron in FL

Hoppes is #1. Do not ever - like in never- mix the smells of Balistol and Shooteres Choice. This is a #10 on the gag-o-maggot meeter.

My wife hates the smell of Hoppes. My 8 year old daughter hates the smell of Ballistol. (I like the smell of both.)

Just last night, I was cleaning a modern gun with Hoppes and my six year old son came in the basement and said, "Mmmm, I LOVE that smell!" Brought a big smile to me.

BTW, I use Ballistol on my BP guns - works great!

Ballistol....MMmMMMMmmm Good
In 40 or 50 years time that's the smell my Boys will say that reminds them of me. :thumbsup:

Back