• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball sucking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flycaster

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Long time reader here. My first post. Got a question.
New 1861 Navy from Dixie. The rammer is pulling the balls back after loading over a lubed wad. Doesn't when I don't use the wad. .375 ball over 21 grains 3F Goex.
Also moved forward under recoil, preventing the chamber to come into battery, by the barrel.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Flycaster

Just to clarify, the ball is stuck to the ram, and has to be knocked loss. I am getting a ring of lead at loading.

Hi Guys,
Long time reader here. My first post. Got a question.
New 1861 Navy from Dixie. The rammer is pulling the balls back after loading over a lubed wad. Doesn't when I don't use the wad. .375 ball over 21 grains 3F Goex.
Also moved forward under recoil, preventing the chamber to come into battery, by the barrel.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Flycaster

61 navy Pietta or Uberti? Dixie is just a sales depot. 2000+ made Uberti needs 380s. 375s works in Pietta. Wads not needed. No one winning NMLRA pistol matches uses "wads under ball" loads. Just a little lube over ball such as 1/3 bees wax mixed with 2/3 crisco wins many matches at the national championships. Any method with a better endorsement? Let me know...c

If it’s getting lube on it, it may be creating a vacuum seal and like a plunger, pulling the ball out when retract the ram.

I had to read it twice,hahah.
Serriosly tho, Check the rammer for burs, and roundness. If they are messed up they like to hang on to the balls. Also check that it is not to deep, it wont let go then either.

Dave

That's a most unfortunate title to this thread...
:ghostly:
Maybe, but I like the guy already. He should fit in just fine amongst the rest of the (us) reprobates around here.

bubba.50 said:
If it’s getting lube on it, it may be creating a vacuum seal and like a plunger, pulling the ball out when retract the ram.
That one's not much better and I know he didn't mean it (I think).
At least the OP's issue isn't making any funny noises in the process.........is it? :oops:

wm

Any suggestions? Thanks
I am getting a ring of lead at loading.
That's all a very odd circumstance,, really.
Just off the cuff, I think your being a bit to "cautious" while seating the load,, don't be afraid to "pack" the darn thing with the loading lever,
, aka; put a bit more meat on it while seating the load.
"wiggle" the leaver a bit before retraction,, If the seating piston of the lever is sealing tight with the projectile,, a little finesse move with the lever should break that seal,
, get it?

Last edited:
The radius on the plunger is probably ever so slightly small. And the front edge is imprinting on the ball and catching. The radius of the plunger should be just slightly larger so the push or contact on the ball is in the cup part. Well give it a look see.

Back