• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball puller question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbearbaiter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've always wondered how I'm supposed to pull a ball out of my ml if I only have one end of ramrod jag ended? Takes too much torque to turn without a double threaded adapter end and a short starter/T handle to drive puller screw into ball??? Jag end will fit through thimbles but not past retainer???

I have a 7/16 wiping stick with a rr tip that’s threaded to take a jag worm or ball screw as needed. It can cut it to a soft ball with out too much problem.

I always use a steel or brass range rod that has a handle end and equipped with threaded end for all kinds of tools. A good fitting muzzle protector as well and can take the stress of pulling a ball, leaving the wooden ramrod for just loading in the field.

I drilled my rammer hole to the front pin of the triggerguard, giving me a couple of extra inches of rammer. The rod is tapered with a threaded end on the tip that fits inside the stock, and the puller is added to this end and used to pull the ball. Something I found is that commercially-available pullers are short and usually have a blunt/stubby point but work much better when the tip is tapered and the screw threads deepened. All balls are pulled with the wooden rod I made for the gun.

A picture would be helpful...

I hate to tell this on myself; I drove 50 miles to the local public range a couple of weeks ago, got my loading sequence off and put a wool wad down before the powder. My gun went off but blew the wad into the white lightning liner from the inside, blocked it and made subsequent shots impossible.

I didn't know what was in my bore at the time, I could just see fibers sticking out of the touch hole. I didn't have a patch worm with me.

I had reloaded but my gun wouldn't go off, I tried to pull the ball but but had an 8/32 range rod and a 10/32 ball puller. I tried to pull the ball with my 10/32 wooden ramrod but couldn't get a grip on the stubby end and get the ball out.

I took the gun home and pulled the ball with another range rod and found the errant wool wad when I looked down the bore with my bore camera.

When I saw this thread I got more than a little sheepish because then I remembered an accessory I always have in my possible bag but had forgotten about; my stuck ramrod puller, dang.

I had it in my bag the day I couldn't pull the ball at the range but had forgotten about it. It will pull any stuck ramrod or ball and is light and easy to carry.

spmThQ2.jpg

I bought the puller initially after sticking a ramrod while reloading to take a second shot at a lust crazed buck below my stand.

A dying friend gave me his rifle, it was the rifle the rifle that turned me into a flintlock shooter and builder.

He had his set trigger set so light that one only needed to touch the side of it to set the gun off. As I had just started hunting with the gun I didn't want to change anything on this fine gift so I left the trigger alone.

I had a nice 8 point come in one morning chasing a doe all around me but not offering a shot because he was running wide open all the time.

He chased the doe out of hearing but showed up a half hour later walking back the way he came, he was broadside 10 yards from my stand and in the open. As I leveled the gun on him my cold finger must have tapped the side of the trigger without me knowing it, BOOM!, right over his back.

Now this buck was a lust crazed babbling idiot, eyes rolling, slobbering and completely oblivious to his surroundings.

He walked over to a nearby bush and started rubbing it as I frantically reloaded. Down went the powder, I grabbed a strip of lubed ticking, started the ball and took a swipe at the ticking with my patch knife leaving way too much material above the ball.

I rammed the ball home and tried to withdraw my ramrod but the extra patching had the rod locked in place. The buck was still rubbing the tree.

Frantically I pulled and twisted on the ramrod, no go, the buck was still rubbing the tree.

Finally I felt something give a little, the buck had worn out the tree and was walking slowly toward the thick pines. The ramrod came out, I reached for my pan primer and primed the pan.

I raised my gun just as the buck took that last step into the thick pines, he was gone, dang.

So, I bought the rod puller so this would never happen again and adjusted the trigger on my gun so I actually had to pull it to make it the gun go off.

Unused for at least 15 years, when I needed it again I forgot I had it until I saw this thread.

Yep, 100 mile round trip to the range to take one shot, all because of several interacting senior moments.

Some of my ramrods extend an inch or so beyond the end of the muzzle when I am shooting. I like the extra length for grip when pulling a ball.

I collect ball pullers, whenever I see one for sale at an event or store I buy it. I like to carry two or three in each pouch. I have found that the smaller screws will rarely pull the ball but will make a nice hole for the middle sized screw. If that pulls out the final "lag bolt" sized screw will get the ball out. I dry balled just last weekend with a smoothbore at a match. The first screw didn't work but the second larger one pulled it right out. Took me all of 5 minutes to get back to shooting.

Gotta be ready for anything, because it seems "anything" can happen when muzzleloading.
Anyway, it seems to happen to me with a fair amount of regularity. :doh:
I have a variety of roundball and patch pullers for several MLs I've collected over the years, and a stout steel TOW range rod.

2uyrwhg.jpg

Multiple ramrods are a must in this game. My field rods are a bit longer than the muzzle. This does require care when carrying the woods. Those screws are sometimes near useless for pulling. Hard to get a grip on one or two inches of rod. If in the woods and the stuck ball is so stubborn it will not come out a hike back to yer truck will be necessary. There you can pull out yer brass or stainless steel range rod with a good handle, screw down tight into the ball and pull. But, first, check in the touchhole to see if there is a tiny space behind the ball. If so, dribble as much 4Fg as you can behind the ball and attempt to shoot it out. I've never dry balled so I don't know this from experience. :shocked2: :wink:

I take a lot of stuff with me to the range and in addition to the jags and worms, I also have one tip with a small drill in it. I watched a guy pull a ball and the whole process took 2 or 3 minutes. He turned the drill in by hand and then screwed int the ball puller. I went home and made a copy of what he was using. Haven't needed it so far, but it's just a matter of time.

I have these items in my hunting truck, during hunting season. Just in case.

A nice leather strap or short piece of rope hitched around the rod works wonders on pulling ball.

Don’t ask how I know this.... :haha:

A couple half hitches then tie to a tree or limb and pull the gun in a slow straight motion. Doesn’t hurt to add a little liquid “slick em’”down the bore to assist in the removal. :hatsoff:

I'm talking more along the lines of if it wouldn't spend while I'm 8mi deep on a wilderness hunt? Or should I decide to pull ball/charge every night moreso than at the range guys.

mnbearbaiter said:
I've always wondered how I'm supposed to pull a ball out of my ml if I only have one end of ramrod jag ended? Takes too much torque to turn without a double threaded adapter end and a short starter/T handle to drive puller screw into ball???
I've drilled a cross-hole just large enough for a finish nail that lives in my patch tin. Works like a T-handle, doesn't require a second threaded end and the nail weighs very little.

When shooting at the range I'll always have a metal range rod with me. The rather tight loads I use are sometimes difficult to pull even with the range rod. But the wood rod is all I have with me in the bush. I don't trust the wood, underbarrel rod to pull out a prb. I tried once on my .36 and the rod twisted in half while trying to screw it in. So usually I'll leak a little 4F into the touch hole and "pop" the ball out. Never had to do that while in the hunting bush, knock, knock.

One that is available is produced by the Hawken Shop in Oak Harbor, WA. It has the combination drill, threaded puller and jag. Take a look at it on the Hawken shop site.

Extension Jag Set

The great aspect of the drill is that it creates the void in the ball and the threaded puller doesn't expand the ball. I've used mine, uh,to help others, uh, and it works really good.

Two methods; I always have a long brass t-handled rod...screw into ball then stand on t-handle and lift gun...makes it an easy chore!

Always carry a Co-2 ball blower...prefer this method as it is so simple!

:hmm: wonder if smoke from black powder is creating these problems we all seem to share? If the prior administration was still around I'm sure I could get a grant for $65,000,000.00 for a scientific study :)

Oh, you went to shoot a muzzleloader. The c02 is for pellet guns. :doh: NEXT?

Back