• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball Pullers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I pack up a bag to go shooting, I have an Altoid tin full of rod-end accessories wrapped in cleaning patches....the ball puller is the one that I hope I don't have to look for during my range trip

It is never a good day when I've had to pull a ball or bullet.

I'd much rather dry ball, so at least then I can continue to seat the ball or bullet then trickle powder into the bolster and bloop it out. I've done that several times, even for charges I ruined when I was doing dumb stuff like using bullet lube that was too runny. It's always a relief when the thing pops off and the chamber is clear......no need for a puller

I try to avoid getting distracted and I'm usually annoyed when well-meaning curious people come up at the range and want to chit chat......I've had to drop a ramrod down to check if I loaded a bullet after having to respond to someone , and I've felt the heavy thump after I loaded two charges in a rifle because some dude interrupted me to want to go hang a target or something.....like, yup, that was 120 grains not 60.....at least paper cartridges are idiot proof. Stay present and alert to the loading process. I always leave 1 bullet or ball on the table at a time so I know if it's loaded or not, because people have waved at me then driven vehicles downrange to put targets out while I'm the middle of loading.....I've gotten tight with more than one person...I'm like, I just put one down the pipe buddy you're going to have to let me shoot my rifle, because I can't clear it for you to constantly drive to the 200.....

There must be a word for the feeling almost all of us have felt when you start a ball or bullet, you know it feels kinda "sticky" in the pipe but you're already committed and you keep trying, then it hits a patch of crusty fouling and stops.....and you know it's stuck.....

Pulling Minies was apparently a pain back in the CW, as evidenced by Minies found by relic hunters with 2 or 3 different holes in them from restarting the puller screw.

Back