• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ball bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib load

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,I just finished making a bullet bag for myself.Now do I put the rice in first,and then put it in hot water,or put it in hot water,and then put the rice in?How long do I leave it in the water?Thanks,Squib

Why ya wanna cook rice in yer new ball bag? :grin: :grin: Seriously, i'm not sure. I have heard of using hot wet sand, but not rice.

I've had good luck soaking the bag and then filling with 7 1/2 birdshot,working it in, squishing it around, adding more, pouring more water in ect, set to dry/drain. has kept shape well.

worked for me,
Brett

Rice is a starch and my guess is that the starch helps the bag maintain it's shape.

Rice, sand (or shot) is used to keep the shape of the wet rawhide until it dries. I just wet/soak the bag then add dry rice/sand to the desired shape. Hope this helps :hatsoff:

Are you thinking the rice will swell and stretch/round out the bag? Sounds like a good idea but wetting/soaking the leather and packing it with sand or shot until you get the shape you want is the way to go.

I don't quite understand why you want a stiff ball bag. Why not leave it soft and pliable? If you think you need a " stiff " neck, to make it easier to get the balls in and out of it, fine. But all you need too do there is stitch a second piece of leather around the neck area of the bag. You can even use a heavier thickness of leather for this to give the neck extra strength.

Paul
I've seen originals both ways, soft as well as formed. The formed ones were made from rawhide, bladders, small gourds, and stiff leather.
They all can be made with a metal, horn, bone, or antler spout all according to the makers whim.
Several types are illustrated in Madison Grants book "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch".

Regards, Dave

Dave: I have seen these, too. I even made a leather one where we filled it with sand to allow it to dry out stiff. Silliest darn thing I own, as it doesn't seem to fit anywhere! I can't even put in down my back pant's pocket easily, which is why I now use a soft ball bag, as well as a soft shot bag. I have a snake shot bag on a shoulder strap, but only because the bag was a gift. I use it, out of respect to the giver, but I am much more comfortable using my soft bag in my game pouch, or one of the cargo pockets.

Paul

I have filled them with some small shot and left them on the dash of my truck facing the sun for a few days.

I would think that the rice would be hard to clean out.

CS

Crackshot: The rice cleans out easily as the sand, if you put a couple of round balls- I used casting rejects that are going to be re melted anyway- in the bag, and spin them around until all the sand, or rice. is knocked off the sides, and pours out. I still have my stiff, round ball bag, but I don't use it anymore. I keep it to show people who are curious as to how to make one, and then show them my soft bag, and let them decide.

Paul
I think you pretty much right.
For me right now I'm shooting .58 and .62 cals and a stiff bullet bag, it seems to me, would just be ungainly in my shot pouch. I think they maybe alright in the smaller calibers though, and some I've seen are cuter than a popcorn fart.
The bag I carry for the large cals is a soft bag I bought from Golden Age Arms back in the late 60s and its been used so much it looks like an original, its kinda like an old friend now.

Regards, Dave

Ok guys,Thats the reason I ask you fellows,I know you wont sugarcoat the answer.The popcorn fart brought me around to my senses.A soft bag it is.Thanks,squib

Back