• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I came up with a method...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
because I was not happy with the brownells plum brown finish. I initially plum browned the the barrel and I was not satisfied. I took a measured dose from a keuric coffee maker of some hot water into a plastic base made from windshield washer fluid container. Putting the barrel in a metal ash Tray i coated it with Lucas white grease peppering it with black powder Like you would do with poultry and running a torch across it to ignite the powder. returning it to the hot water several times. I then took some of the black powder slurry that was mixed with the water in the ash tray..coated the barrel with it added another coating of lucas grease and repeated the process creating a salty but not so hot brine in the container. In the end I wound up with a kind of brown/black oxide finish thats deep and cannot be scratched off. I have posted photos of the results....Thanks for looking....SM

Attachments

• 20230408_194451.jpg
    20230408_194451.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230408_194539.jpg
    20230408_194539.jpg
    994.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hmmm, very, very, interesting.
I look forward to seeing how this holds up over time and to other folks trying it to see if it can be replicated.
Thank you for sharing.

Latest posts

Back