• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cornbread?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White or yellow corn meal. Just depends on my mood at the time if I add a touch of honey or not. When it’s with meat that’s BBQ sauced, usually forego the honey. But I want it warm to melt the butter.

How do y'all like cornbread? Sweet or no?
Funny thing is, most folks say Southern cornbread should not be sweet, but the sweet Martha White mix sells VERY well in the South.
Also, I like to sometimes fry some hot water cornbread (Don't put corn in that though- pops very badly, caught it in the face once).
David
Not sweetened.
But i have to use pork fat to cook it or it aint right for me. But i am a yankee so i might not know the custom out wedt or south.

How do y'all like cornbread? Sweet or no?
Funny thing is, most folks say Southern cornbread should not be sweet, but the sweet Martha White mix sells VERY well in the South.
Also, I like to sometimes fry some hot water cornbread (Don't put corn in that though- pops very badly, caught it in the face once).
David

Muffins are sweet and go good with chilibeans and suchlike. Cornbread is NOT sweet.

Hmmm, definitely an American thing, not so big in Aus that I have found..BUT... we do make it at home. The best is when I don't have to make it, wife makes with jalapeno's for sure. I don't know if the recipe that I have compares to you guys, now have to go home and dig it up. Just as long as it will soak up lots of gravy, bring it on.

Sometimes I will make corn bread and add crumbled bacon (if you can get them bacon ends are best) a well-drained can of sweet corn (or left over cut off the cob corn is better) and a hand full of good sharp grated cheddar cheese, even been known to throw in a pinch of jalapeno sliced peppers. Sun dried chopped tomatoes is also a nice addition occasionally. And always use butter milk for the batter.

Sometimes I will make corn bread and add crumbled bacon (if you can get them bacon ends are best) a well-drained can of sweet corn (or left over cut off the cob corn is better) and a hand full of good sharp grated cheddar cheese, even been known to throw in a pinch of jalapeno sliced peppers. Sun dried chopped tomatoes is also a nice addition occasionally. And always use butter milk for the batter.
You sold me, I don’t have any butter milk here, but I have everything else. I’m going to make some tomorrow, if not tonight!

Try chopped Hatch chilis in your cornbread; it's a great wake-up meal w/ strong camp coffee. Drizzle it w/ honey for the energy to face even a rainy morning.

Back