• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cornbread?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do y'all like cornbread? Sweet or no?
Funny thing is, most folks say Southern cornbread should not be sweet, but the sweet Martha White mix sells VERY well in the South.
Also, I like to sometimes fry some hot water cornbread (Don't put corn in that though- pops very badly, caught it in the face once).
David

From Texas, Not sweet.
1 1/2 cup corn meal, 1/2 cup bread flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, bit of salt, 1 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 egg. Mix thoroughly. Place egg size lump of cold bacon grease in cast iron skillet in 400 deg oven. Take out when hot. Pour half the grease in the batter and mix in (it will be frying hot). Then poor all batter into hot skillet. Bake till lightly brown on top. Sometimes I add chopped jalapeño and/or whole corn. That’s the way my grandma made it. She was born in Waxahachie, Tx., 1911.

Last edited:
Who cares as long as you've got beans to go with it. :D
Navy beans or black eyed peas will also work.
Cornbread with the big chunks of butter running down your chin??
Nothing better well, unless you throw in some fat back.
HATED Split Pea soup when I was a kid.
It always ended up COLD and I had to finish it. :(
NOW, split peas, ham, or bacon, onions with a few chopped up baby carrots.
Could even throw in a little rice.
MMMMM good!! Sorry for going OT but I love good stick to the ribs food. ;)

How do I like my corn bread. The answer is yes. Sweet or plain, yes. With butter and local honey or homemade jelly. Sand plum jelly is especially good on it. I’ll second on the suggestion of beans or pea soup too. It is hard to go wrong with corn bread.

Who cares as long as you've got beans to go with it. :D
Navy beans or black eyed peas will also work.
Cornbread with the big chunks of butter running down your chin??
Nothing better well, unless you throw in some fat back.
HATED Split Pea soup when I was a kid.
It always ended up COLD and I had to finish it. :(
NOW, split peas, ham, or bacon, onions with a few chopped up baby carrots.
Could even throw in a little rice.
MMMMM good!! Sorry for going OT but I love good stick to the ribs food. ;)
SON!!! Now you got me hungry!
-Red, actually always hungry…

I’m a savory guy. Love tge deep rich flavor of corn. So prefer no sweet corn.
But
I like ‘em that corn bread, hot butter, honey, maple syrup, jalapeños, fried egg, picante sauce, brown beans, navy beans, Boston baked,all are great with jiffy, home made, hot, cold, Johnny cake, ash cake, all hit my taste buds and make ‘em smile.

I don’t like sweet cornbread never buy the store bought mix make my own. When I was growing up cornbread and milk was dessert! I sill have it that way if any is leftover but that is not often in this house!

How do y'all like cornbread? Sweet or no?
FREE with lots of salted butter :thumb:

I've had it "sweet", and not, and I've had it with jalapeños added and other variations. So I prefer whatever style when it's free and there's lots of butter.

I've been playin' around with "early" recipes of sorts... I find it mentioned in journals and such without a recipe included, but being made by people without wheat flour, so it's all corn meal of some sort, and also no yeast, and before baking soda or powders or any sort. As of right now, it looks like a very fine meal, perhaps masa flour (hominy ground into flour) mixed with the cornmeal, plus water, and then baked. Debating if an egg is "ok" or should it be just water, as the masa flour binds pretty well. Ends up being a thick tortilla.

On the other hand I might be being silly and the answer may be that the frontier corn "bread" was what other folks would call "corn pone", and it was spooned up and eaten with a spoon, or more like the traditional fried rounds that are called "corn pone".

LD

From Texas, Not sweet.
1 1/2 cup corn meal, 1/2 cup bread flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, bit of salt, 1 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 egg. Mix thoroughly. Place egg size lump of cold bacon grease in cast iron skillet in 400 deg oven. Take out when hot. Pour half the grease in the batter and mix in (it will be frying hot). Then poor all batter into hot skillet. Bake till lightly brown on top. Sometimes I add chopped jalapeño and/or whole corn. That’s the way my grandma made it. She was born in Waxahachie, Tx., 1911.
been to waxahatchie, spectacular courthouse

Back