• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker rifle questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those that play dress up of the napoleon era and use baker rifles. Which version is the more popular version? The carbine or full length.

Side note, if you were to build one which version would you try and build and why. Accuracy, authenticity etc.

Most people go for the rifle but I think the carbine would be more unique and interesting.The only problem I can see with the carbine is that I bet the rifleshoppe sells more parts kits for the rifle than the carbine so any parts that are carbine specific may have a longer waiting period

If TRS has something in stock then that is it. Be warned that the TRS parts sets are extremely crude and not for the casual builder. Even then the stock may not be useable at all. First hand experience speaking.

If TRS has something in stock then that is it. Be warned that the TRS parts sets are extremely crude and not for the casual builder. Even then the stock may not be useable at all. First hand experience speaking.
Say you have a friend who can make things... Because In theory I do... We are just looking at things.

What is more comfortable to shoot and accurate. The rifle or carbine version

Say you have a friend who can make things... Because In theory I do... We are just looking at things.

What is more comfortable to shoot and accurate. The rifle or carbine version
I have no opinion on rifle vs carbine. I am unaware of a carbine parts set. IT may be academic. IF TRS does not have something in stock the wait can be years.

Being able to make things is not sufficient. I am and advanced builder. I got two TRS part sets. If competed one with much difficulty. The final result was not to my standards due to built in flaws. The lock was not right and was sent back to TRS.

I assembled the second lock and it is was better than theirs. The second build went sour because of a bad stock. I ordered another stock at my expense. It arrived with the exact same flaws as the first. I inletted the barrel only and set the whole thing aside. Instead of being a fun build it became frustrating and tedious.

I have no opinion on rifle vs carbine. I am unaware of a carbine parts set. IT may be academic. IF TRS does not have something in stock the wait can be years.

Being able to make things is not sufficient. I am and advanced builder. I got two TRS part sets. If competed one with much difficulty. The final result was not to my standards due to built in flaws. The lock was not right and was sent back to TRS.

I assembled the second lock and it is was better than theirs. The second build went sour because of a bad stock. I ordered another stock at my expense. It arrived with the exact same flaws as the first. I inletted the barrel only and set the whole thing aside. Instead of being a fun build it became frustrating and tedious.
Appreciate the input

Be aware that the Baker is not a particularly long rifle compared with many early rifles. It was designed for use by light troops and not for standing in formation with a bayonet fitted. There is a true cavalry carbine with a 20" barrel and a side bar and ring swivel for use by mounted troops, but this is very short for a flintlock gun. The Baker is always considered a bit of a compromise design and was never the most accurate, sacrificing accuracy for ruggedness and ease of handling and loading..

The standard Baker was made in carbine bore (.62) although some were in musket bore (.69)_ A musket bore Baker gives quite a substantial whack with a service load!

Depends on what you want it for.. I would go with the flat lock carbine bore rifle (.. and have done!)

Latest posts

Back