• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dodgy part from The Rifle Shoppe or wrongly identified? Baker Rifle build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larks

40 Cal
Reaction score
Help please - what is this part from my Rifle Shoppe Baker Rifle build kit if it isn’t a dodgy replacement part??

I had fitted most of my Baker Rifle barrel parts while working away from home ( Cutting dovetail slots for under-lugs and sights - Baker Rifle build ) but had forgotten to take the forward sling mount fitting away with me.

However now that I’m home for a few days I’m a bit stumped as to whether I actually have the right part or not? Where all of the other barrel fittings have been cast, this one piece is an off-cut from something and “appears” to me to have been included as a bit of an afterthought intended to be used as the sling fitting mount/lug. It was included with the sling parts so that is what I attributed it to.

This is the part in question - as you can see there is no dovetail shaped on the base and the base is an uneven thickness and width either side so any dovetail that I file into it is likely to be kinda dodgy strength-wise and uneven :

IMG_4577.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

IMG_4579.jpg

This is what the other cast underlugs look like

IMG_4556.JPG

and this is the sling swivel mount that I believe that it is meant to be

IMG_4582.JPG

Any thoughts?

I’d add that there is no point in me trying to contact The Rifle Shoppe as they’ve been ghosting me for the last 2 1/2 years....

Last edited:
Hi,
It is the sling swivel lug. Just file the base even and dovetail it in. Then shape it properly and clean it up. Clean up the cast surfaces on those barrel lugs as well.

dave
Cheers and thanks for the reply Dave. Yes the lugs for the moment are just placed for shaping the barrel dovetail slots and only the dovetail sides themselves had been cleaned up. They’ll come out for finishing before I brown the barrel.

Back