• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker rifle lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I haven't been buying much lately so when my permanent e-bay Baker search came up with a spare lock and it having the alternative cock... I checked my wife was not standing behind me and pressed Buy-It-Now :idunno:

It doesn't fit but who cares, it is 200 years old :rotf:

baker2.jpg

Is the one you purchased the lock in the top left of the photo you showed?

Just wondering, was the rounded cock early/earlier and if so, when did they switch to the flat cock?

Gus

The rifle is c1826 and Ezekiel was at death's door so I presume the lock not on the gun is earlier, but I am no expert :idunno:
I suppose I should try to become an expert but life is too short :surrender: :grin:

If I understand all the jargon, what you've got is a 3rd Model (or maybe 2nd Model depending entirely on whether is .753 or .625) with a spare lock for a 3rd Model, 2nd Pattern (New Land) which coincided with the basic development of the New Land Pattern Firelock of 1802. There doesn't seem to be a total consensus among the learned! Like the Brown Bess questions, if you understand it all, you've obviously not paying attention! :rotf:

This is a 5/8", Nick at our club has one with this lock and bored 1/2". He was missing a frizzen spring last time we met. I now have spares for mine, he can buy his own :grin:

I thought my trigger spring might have worn down because it is a bit stiff, but it isn't, it looks just the same as this one. I might accidentally swap them over if the screw fits :wink:

My brain is starting to fade but if I can make it to 2026 I will have a bi-centennial party for my Baker :thumbsup:

If not please feel free to send your rifle to the colonies for the holiday of a life time :wink: :thumbsup: good score

A mate has just purchased a Western Australian marked Baker Rifle, photos will follow in due course.

Back