• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another old rifle musket arrives: Frankford/Remington upgrade of a US Model 1816

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddydog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this on Black Friday. It was originally a US Model 1816 smoothbore flintlock .69 caliber musket, most likely a Type II or III. It was converted at Frankford Arsenal in about 1858 with a Remington-made percussion Maynard Tape-lock and also rifled. Still in .69 caliber. Around 20,000 of these conversions were done and many saw service in the Civil War. Mine is one of ones that did not get fitted with a "long range" rear sight (and in fact has no rear sight at all and was never fitted with one).

I'm happy to have it and it seems very solid. As with nearly everything I buy, I DO plan to shoot it if it is solid and safe (as it seems). I have not done any cleaning yet. The bore looks quite good without major pitting. The entire length of the bore looks like what I have pictured.

FA1858_full_rt.jpg

FA1858_full_lt.jpg

FA1858_lock.jpg

FA1858_flat_lt.jpg

Not sure if that is writing in another language behind the screw on the top of the buttplate, or just some marks. (Looks kinds of like Arabic, or the writing of Nepal or Ethiopia maybe?)
FA1858_butt_top.jpg

FA1858_bore2.jpg

I have not yet opened the Maynard door to check on the guts. The hammer locks solidly at both half- and full-cock with very strong mainspring pressure. Ramrod comes out easily. Its head is very bulbous and is actually domed rather than dished for ball or bullet (these were intended for a .69-caliber Minie-type bullet). I did not note any cracks in the stock.

As usual, I welcome comments and input on this old timer! Thanks.

Rob

Does it have any other strange markings? A lot of these were sold to Japan after the civil war. I don’t know if any went anywhere else.

What a wonderful acquisition! I hope you will take it to the range and give us a report on how she runs. I've been interested for many years in the .69 muskets that were rifled to take that huge Minié.

If it were mine, I’d start with a light load and work up from that. I hope the NSSA guys comment on your musket and give load information!

I'd stay away from the original issue style minie that weighs over 700 grains. Too much wear and tear on the musket and shoulder. I use the Rapine semi wadcutter in my original rifled 1842. Moose makes a mould that is identical to the Rapine. 60 grains of 2F is plenty.

Last edited:
What I have read is that these were converted in batches. Some made for the State of New Jersey were made without sights on purpose. The early conversions used the same long-range sights as the Model 1855 Rifle. But apparently by the last batch(es) they had run out of the sights and so no rear sight was installed.

Rob

What I have read is that these were converted in batches. Some made for the State of New Jersey were made without sights on purpose. The early conversions used the same long-range sights as the Model 1855 Rifle. But apparently by the last batch(es) they had run out of the sights and so no rear sight was installed.

Rob
Cause everyone knew that New Jerseyans can’t shoot straight anyhow 🤣

Latest posts

Back