• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad caps and misfires

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukewellington

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The only time I get misifres is when the cap fails to go off. I take the cap of the nipple and then put it back on and it works. Is there a speacial way to place the cap on the nipple?

Duke :thumbsup:

It sounds as though you are experiencing a failure to seat the cap all the way down on the nipple. When the hammer strikes the nipple, it gives a little and absorbs the blow rather than igniting. I'm guessing that you could also get ignition if you merely fired again without going to the trouble of removing the cap.

From your description I'd expect a change in nipples or caps to solve the problem entirely. A worn or peened nipple will cause misfires such as yours. Based on my own experience, I could also propose that you're using CCI caps on Lyman nipples. There's some kind of a misfit in that combo. Remington caps work fine on Lyman nipples, but if your local cap supply is CCI, I'd change out the Lyman nipple for another brand.

Caps to small/nipple to big is the most common problem I've had with a new gun. Changed nipples with better ones and havent had anymore missfired caps.

Sometimes the cap just does not go off, and this is what causes the misfire. I've never had a cap go of and not dischare the barrel though :hmm:

To clarify, the failure of the cap to go off is what I mean by "misfire." In my experience it's more often caused by a nipple that's gone bad or a bad match between nipple and cap. Flawed caps are extremely rare in my shooting, though my hunting pard experienced lots of failures last year. On the same day. On a hunt. On half a dozen different deer. Turns out he had managed to get the caps wet.

Yep, its the cap. I had the same problem with CCI they fit way too tight and would occationaly not go off. Switched to Remingtons and the problem was fixed.

HH

I have occasionally experienced what you describe when using CCI caps on a Lyman nipple, at the end of a series of shots. Three things help avoid this nuisance:

Change the nipple to an AMPCO bronze nipple from Track of the Wolf.

Right after wiping the bore with the second side of a damp patch, use the patch to wipe off the nipple.

Press the cap home firmly. I use one of the Tedd Cash lozenge shaped capppers, and after installing the cap I turn the device over and use the back side to press the cap firmly onto the nipple.

White Fox

a lot of times, the gun has been dry fired, thus peening the nipple. hard to notice with the eye.
a slight bit of file work or a new nipple usually cures this.
I make it a habit to press the cap down just prior to going to full cock.
I dont dry fire my guns either, without firsat placing a faucet washer or other form of padding on the nipple.

When all conditions are right, I don't have any problems with CCI caps, but I do prefer Remington. I believe the CCI material to be harder, or the Remington skirt pleats to be more forgiving.
As mentioned, a little touch-up with a file will generally cure nipple problems. I've even rounded the top of a nipple or two just slightly to alow the cap to sit down fully.

Ok, so I have had these problems as well with caps and buggered up nipples. Got mine to fit when I got an assortment and just dry fitted some caps on them at the dinner table one night and sorted them out with various caps. Marked the caps in a left over cap tin. However, maybe its from fear from the old days, but pushing down on the cap? I guess I don't do that since I had some firecrackers and the red caps go off in my fingers when I was young. Just doesn't seem the right thing to do I guess. On the line pushing the cap onto the nipple, just not a pretty picture for me...I realize we are not talking here putting 200 plus pounds of force on it, but just see those little red caps going off in the old days with a little cap gun gives me the hebbee jeebees...

Me too! That's why I always pointed downrange, but ultimately found a combo that works without it.

I like your idea of pre-checking the caps for fit. Haven't heard of that before, but it makes good sense.

each manufacture of caps has a slighly different size cap . Fitting the cap tight on a sharp edged nipple is important. Nipples will flatten on the edge if fired enough. Some such as CVA flatten very quickly. If you keep your caps dry, seated solid on a sharp nipple you can shoot any brand consistantly.

Have not bought Remington caps in 20 years. They may have fixed the problem but the priming mix was in a foil like container and the container would fall out.

Prefer RWS caps. CCI are a little tight which is not a problem unless the nipple is a little large. No problems using RWS or CCI and Hot Shot nipple.

Have seen problem where hammer stops on half cock if the fly is broken or missing. Are you sure it is not stoppng on half cock occassionally?

TC

I just recently had some problems similar to this. As it turns out,one of the screws in the lock on my rifle was loose, and not swingin the hammer down fast enough or hard enough to fire the cap on the first try. Might be somethin to check out.

dukewellington said:
The only time I get misifres is when the cap fails to go off. I take the cap of the nipple and then put it back on and it works. Is there a speacial way to place the cap on the nipple?

Duke :thumbsup:

How stout is the main spring on your gun? A weak main spring could cause the hammer to not hit the cap hard enough to detonate it.

I don't ever "dry-fire" a percussion rifle or pistol! To do so exposes those nipples to undo harm, and will only cause problems, some of which are peened-over nipples that won't hold caps on straight and tight.

Replace your nipple, buy a spare at the same time.

Save "dry-firing" for modern center-fire guns, and use a "snap-cap" when appropriate.

Dave

Well, if the gun has set triggers a person can "fire" their gun to practice trigger release but they must not have the hammer at full cock or at half cock

As long as the hammer is down in the "fired" position a person can set and "fire" their set triggers until the cows come home without damaging them.

Remember though, if one does this with the hammer at half-cock it can break the sear or the tumbler.
If one does this at full cock, as the others have pointed out, the nipple will be damaged.

I had the same problem with a Deer Creek mountin type rifle.I polished the working surfaces of the lock,retempered the mainspring,vented the drum, changed nipples,ands even tried musket caps.I finally solved the problem by heating the hammer and adjusting the striking angle.Before the adjustment the hammer appeared to be striking the cap perfectly.She goes off every time now.

Latest posts

Back