• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back up guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin M

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wondering if any of the states you live in allow you to carry a back up gun. I am thinking of a pistol not another rifle. Here in Utah we cannot carry a backup gun. If you have a concealed weapons permit you can carry a pistol is what they tell me, but that is a grey area. Just curious.

I believe that Louisiana only allows you to carry a .22 pistol loaded with birdshot cartridges (for snakes, don't ya know). Some states do allow single shot BP pistol back-ups. Down h'yeah we need snake protection more than follow-up/finishing shots. This is a swamp. Alligators, too. BIG loggerhead (snapping) turtles. Mosquitos that'll carry ye off. Our wading birds (Great Blue Herons et al.)are bigger than Texas hillcountry deer. Our deer have webfeet. OK, mebbe jes' a few of'm.....

I am wondering if any of the states you live in allow you to carry a back up gun. I am thinking of a pistol not another rifle. Here in Utah we cannot carry a backup gun. If you have a concealed weapons permit you can carry a pistol is what they tell me, but that is a grey area. Just curious.

AS far as I know, in West Virginia it's the same as Utah, you can carry your CCW gun while hunting--but can't use it as a primary weapon for hunting. I suppose you could deliver a "coup de grace" on a downed wounded animal though... but don't take that as gospel, 'cause like you said, it's a grey area.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

North Carolina:

"Hunters/Trappers lawfully taking wildlife by another method may use a pistol to dispatch the animal or bird taken, except as noted below".

(BELOW)

"Pistols may not be carried during the bow-and-arrow and muzzleloader deer hunting seasons"

"Deer, bear, boar may be taken with a handgun during the established gun hunting season, minimum .24cal".

"Muzzleloading pistols are not legal for hunting" (period)

"Muzzleloading pistols are not legal for hunting"

Ditto for PA, as well. At one point they were legal but after a couple of season they went back to long guns only.

You can carry a modern handgun during the season with a protection permit, but I wouldn't want to have a game warden pull me over when I had a deer carcass with a pistol bullet in it and a CF handgun in my posession; that could cost you your hunting license, the deer, and your pistol.

To Michigan DNR: Is it legal to carry both a rifle and pistol for hunting during firearms season if both are legal caliber for the intended game?
Reply:
"Yes, exactly as you stated both may be carried afield. This would apply whether or not a person has a license to carry a concealed pistol although a person without a CPL would be required to carry exposed and have the legal caliber sized handgun for hunting deer.

You can carry a modern handgun during the season with a protection permit, but I wouldn't want to have a game warden pull me over when I had a deer carcass with a pistol bullet in it and a CF handgun in my posession; that could cost you your hunting license, the deer, and your pistol.

::
Sad examples of how we the majority suffer the consequences of a few bad apples, eh

One of the rules in Utah is you can only have one shot. I am afraid if I had a .62 rifle and a .62 pistol they would think that I would take another shot with the pistol. Lets say I just missed the 75 yd shot with the longrifle. Here goes the pistol I just know I can hit it with that after missing with the rifle. Ha ha. I would like to carry a smoothbore pistol with shot for critters that want to crawl in the blanket with me and for skunks that I cannot outrun. We have some rattlers, but they are usually looking to hibernate by the time deer season rolls around. They are a problem during spring Bear and Gobbler though.

Some of the WMA's I hunt allow black powder handguns during muzzleloader seasons..some don't allow any kind of handguns for any season. I carry a .44cal. New Army Rem. along with muzzleloading rifle some times. I used it one time to finish off a dry sow that had crawled up under some old myrtle roots in a dry swamp..I had to army crawl flat on my stomach to get back into where she was.

Just another thought. Hunters here are getting concealed weapons permits so that they can carry one in the chamber while riding 4 wheeler. Before I converted to flint, I never thought of having a loaded gun on a 4 wheeler. They consider a muzzleloader here unloaded if its not primed. ie capped or the pan full of powder. Don't climb on the 4 wheelers unless one of my in-line toting heathen brother in laws comes by after hunting hours are over and gives me a ride back to camp. I wonder what the regs are for having a loaded muzzleloader on horseback? Can you legally fire from horseback? Hmmmm....

We can hunt with pistols as our main weapon here, but I think it has to have an 18 inch barrel. Might as well go with a rifle.

Here in Missouri we can carry a handgun while hunting except for archery season. It can't' be concealed unless one has a CCW permit or you're hunting on land you own. As far as caliber I am assuming it must be of legal caliber during deer season, I don't know that for a fact. During turkey season I don't know as our turkey season is unfortunately shotgun only. One would assume carrying a handgun then would not be allowed. Other seasons anything is allowed as long as it isn't concealed, unless the required permit is possessed.

Missouri has some peculiar laws regarding what may be carried when. I suspect all states are the same. For instance, during deer season you can't hunt small game with anything but a shotgun using shot # 4 or smaller.....UNLESS.....you are hunting on land you own.....then it's your choice.

During ML deer season I carry a pistol the same caliber as my rifle. Regular deer season usually finds me armed with one of my Sharps and a Colt, (not replica), SAA in 45 caliber. This year may be different as I may hunt with a flinter during regular deer season.

Frankly, I rarely leave the house for the woods or creeks without a handgun of some kind.

Vic

Here in Colorado it is legal to carry a handgun as long as it is not concealed. That's state law. When you get into some of the bedwetter communities, though, it's different.
In answer to your question, though, I called the Colorado Division of Wildlife and asked them the same thing. they told me that I could carry a handgun, but I couldn't use it. I assume that meant to hunt with. :results:

Had a friend that had a Mare that was deaf. He would shoot off her back. We tried to train a few horses by banging pots and pans when they ate. Some learned to not buck and some kept right on kicking after the shot.

In WA. it is leagal to carry a handgun while hunting during the Muzzleloading season ___ BUT --- there ARE RESTRICTIONS !!!!!

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO "INTERP. the REG :sorry: :sorry:

Talk to your local WDF LEO. :imo: :imo:

The Reg. "Muzzelloader hunters can carry a handgun designed to be charged with black powder only.It is NOT legal for hunting or dispatching big game."

Puffer

Here in AZ, if you are hunting in a ML only hunt you may not carry a centerfire weapon of any sort.

Can't speak about other states, but here in AZ a CCW gives you permission to carry a weapon concealed only in places where it is normally legal to carry a weapon. It does not grant the ability to carry a pistol where the pistol is otherwise not allowed. So if the hunting reg says no centerfire weapons at that time and place, that is that regardless of the CCW.

I know that differs from many other states that have restrictions on "open carry." Here is AZ, at least in this county, there are only a few places you may not walk around with a pistol strapped to your hip.

I guess you could get the "grey area" you mention if you wanted to dispute whether or not you were actually hunting or were just there for some other reason when the topic of your concealed weapon came up.

In WA. it is leagal to carry a handgun while hunting during the Muzzleloading season ___ BUT --- there ARE RESTRICTIONS !!!!!

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO "INTERP. the REG :sorry: :sorry:

Talk to your local WDF LEO. :imo: :imo:

The Reg. "Muzzelloader hunters can carry a handgun designed to be charged with black powder only.It is NOT legal for hunting or dispatching big game."

Puffer

Puffer,.... Jest to give you an idea of how those regs. could possibly be "interpreted",.... it appears as tho only real "blackpowder" can be loaded in yore ML pistols. (.... and thus, NO SUBSITUTE POWDERS such as pyrodex, 777, and etc. are legal) :hmm:

YMHS
rollingb

Back