• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back into antiques…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Long time shooter, collector, and gunsmith; laid off guns in general due to a busy life but got back into shooting last year when I got my CCW.

Just picked this up, getting me back into the oldies as well; I think it’s a good start.
6E758D39-74AB-4897-8006-5F60764A07AE.jpeg

I like that!

Of course, a der(r)inger isn’t going to be the best range experience, but it could be fun.a
I like that!

Of course, a der(r)inger isn’t going to be the best range experience, but it could be fun.
Just shooting any of the old originals is fun to me. Must be some kind of a romance thing but I don't tell the wife that 😂

Very nice looking piece… unless there’s something obvious- should be some fun in shooting!
Deringers always make me think of Turner Kirkland (Dixie Gun Works) as they were his favorite to collect.

Shootable?

Do you guys do that with originals like this?
Absolutely!

Guns were made to be shot, and chances are your Deringer was shot in the past. Previous owners just shot appropriate loads and cleaned it properly. There’s no reason you can’t do the same, and later pass it on to the next generation in just as good condition as it is now. We just try to be sensible.

I’ve seen old guns left in storage that were rusted and the stocks damaged by bugs or rot. Guns that get pulled out and shot, or even just handled by knowledgeable owners, seem to stay in good shape. Proper loads aren’t going to hurt them, and it takes a lot of shooting to induce any real wear. They get cleaned after shooting and wiped down after handling.

The last original I shot was an M1842 I.N. Johnson Dragoon pistol that I bought a couple of years ago. It was fun, and it didn’t hurt the gun one bit. I have an original Whitney M1841 “Mississippi” Rifle that will absolutely be shot. In my experience, original sporting and military guns, especially the locks, are built better than the mass-produced reproductions.

The only requirement around here is that after you shoot that pocket rocket, you need to post again and tell us about the experience.

Notchy Bob

Absolutely!

Guns were made to be shot, and chances are your Deringer was shot in the past. Previous owners just shot appropriate loads and cleaned it properly. There’s no reason you can’t do the same, and later pass it on to the next generation in just as good condition as it is now. We just try to be sensible.

I’ve seen old guns left in storage that were rusted and the stocks damaged by bugs or rot. Guns that get pulled out and shot, or even just handled by knowledgeable owners, seem to stay in good shape. Proper loads aren’t going to hurt them, and it takes a lot of shooting to induce any real wear. They get cleaned after shooting and wiped down after handling.

The last original I shot was an M1842 I.N. Johnson Dragoon pistol that I bought a couple of years ago. It was fun, and it didn’t hurt the gun one bit. I have an original Whitney M1841 “Mississippi” Rifle that will absolutely be shot. In my experience, original sporting and military guns, especially the locks, are built better than the mass-produced reproductions.

The only requirement around here is that after you shoot that pocket rocket, you need to post again and tell us about the experience.

Notchy Bob
Oh, it’s def been shot and well cared for and yes, it’s much better quality than any repro I’ve ever seen.

I guess I’m just concerned about dinging it up; it’s in such nice shape that I’d hate to mar the checkering or something else stupid.

BTW, I know guns very well, just a bit reverent when it comes to actual history.

Guess I’ll need to look into it.

Probably the best part will be the reactions of all the tacti-cools out at the range… 😎

Very nice looking piece… unless there’s something obvious- should be some fun in shooting!
Deringers always make me think of Turner Kirkland (Dixie Gun Works) as they were his favorite to collect.
I haven’t pulled it apart yet but it has that feel of a “proper” piece; you know what I mean.

Ah yes, DGW; I used to do a lot of repairs and minor restoration of antiques, and they were the best for parts and info. Loved their catalogs! Met Turner at several events, great guy and so knowledgeable. I didn’t know he was partial to Deringers, but after handling this one I can see why.

The appearance looks to be in very nice condition. The lack of pitting at the snail/nipple indicates low use and/or well taken care of. (Your nipple threads might be a little long, based on the gap in the photo?). If the bore is constant with a tight patch - I’d make sure the flame path is clear and go. Obviously, snap a few caps, then start with a low powder charge and enjoy.

I enjoy shooting the few antiques I have. My photo to the left is one that required a new tumbler shaft to be brazed in. The rest was in pretty good condition. Shoots well, but not as good as the German pistol that was auctioned without a hammer. Tracked it down in England. It has a hex shaft on the tumbler. Luckily the hammer came with a hex opening that fit perfectly! Yay!

Attachments

• IMG_7315.jpeg
    IMG_7315.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
The appearance looks to be in very nice condition. The lack of pitting at the snail/nipple indicates low use and/or well taken care of. (Your nipple threads might be a little long, based on the gap in the photo?). If the bore is constant with a tight patch - I’d make sure the flame path is clear and go. Obviously, snap a few caps, then start with a low powder charge and enjoy.
I think you’ve talked me out of shooting it.

I see that gap you’re talking about. I don’t have a nipple wrench and, more importantly, that nipple looks like it’s been in there for a while, so it’s looking like an “If it ain’t broke” kind of thing.

I took it apart and it’s righteous all the way through, even still has some of that weird wavy line finish on the barrel underside. I gave it the Ren wax treatment and I think I’m just going to let it be for now.

It’s just too pretty for me to mess up.

I do have a 5-1/2” SS Uberti 1858 if I feel like burning some FFG. 😎

Attachments

• 469A7172-2970-4B9F-85CA-9C7A4CD738A0.jpeg
    469A7172-2970-4B9F-85CA-9C7A4CD738A0.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 30B0916C-4482-4B66-B16A-1F6A2EB8EC60.jpeg
    30B0916C-4482-4B66-B16A-1F6A2EB8EC60.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
77 Years old and maybe I should be careful what I call an antique.
The M1 I carried in basic was adopted into service in 1936. Ten years before I was born and near 90 years ago. Is it an antique? Do not imagine the BATF would think so. Likely they'd be picky about the Browning M1919 too. Don't think they have awarded the 1911 with antique status either.

All that nit picking aside I have collected a number of vintage double guns, ML and cartridge. I shoot them and find I like them better than any new double I have handled. 2.5 Inch cartridges are a complication, but you really don't want to extend the chambers on these old girls.

Back