• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

austin & halleck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just located an austin and halleck .50 cal flintlock in excellent condition. The guy wants $525 for it. Is this a fair price and what about the quality of the gun? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Austin and Halleck, went out of business because of lack of quality control. So I guess you can flip a coin and decide. :idunno:

I think that is a little high IMHO. I had a very nice A-H with less than 50 shots through it that I sold for $450 a couple of years ago. The rifles were made in the good ol' US of A but the barrels were made in Spain. Mine was a very good shooter, but shot low from the factory. Seems that was very common in these rifles. My buddy got one just after I got mine. He is trying to sell his for the price of the one you are looking at.....hasn't sold it in 3 years at that price.

Not only are they out of business, but spare parts aren't in great supply either. Mazo Kid's right about the gun being overpriced, especially since I saw a new one at Dixon's for a lot less several months ago. Btw, it came with the caveat about spare parts.

I've owned two A&H flintlock .50's, and presently still own one - and have found them to be excellent & accurate production rifles.

My old one was a fast twist, and the one I have now is a slow twist.

I paid $400 for the 1st, and a few dollarts more for the second - but all that was before last month.

Last month, Traditions bought all of the Austin & Halleck NOS, and is selling brand-new assembled Mountain Rifles (in flint or cap lock) for $399.
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R910060sk

FWIW, There are 2-3 threads on the A&H rifles, in our Percussion Rifle section, a few pages back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Traditions mountain rifle is not a remarked A&h.I know this because I bought one from an old link(new for 2008) from this forum.$280 for a supposed second.The receipt didn't show it as a second and the only flaw I could find was a tiny chip on the lock mortise,not untypical of a spainish production gun.Traditions produced this gun in spain for a while and has ceased production.The wood is nice as in the picture,looks great,but the overall fit and finish is about typical for a traditions gun.Well worth what I paid,but hardly a 7-800$ gun. Box and gun both say made in spain.

A friend of mine had one and couldn't get it to go off. He contacted A&H and they sent a new frizzen and it wouldn't spark half the time either. He finally dumped it.

i had one it was ok for a production rifle, it always went off and wasn't horribly slow. I sold it for $460. I wasn't too impressed with the fit and finish.

I had one of their fancy mountain rifles with slow twist, side lock in .50 cal. It was a great looking rifle. Fit and finish was excellent and it shot very well. I traded it in on a flintlock. The rifle i had is definitely worth $500.

That price is a little high. Look on the bbl, if built in Weston, MO, then it should be a decent rifle. i had one and it was fast and accurate. If built in Utah then its a manure shoot..

Back