• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Austin Halleck Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman56

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I need some feedback from you flintlock gurus. I've found a very nice Austin Halleck flintlock that keeps whispering in my ear. I don't know a thing about them but she does have a very seductive whisper. Yes? maybe? or should I put my earplugs in?

I worked an AH flintlock over a while back. What I found was that the gritty finish covered all of the internals, causing ALLOT of friction.
Once removed, I found that finish covered a number of casting and machine flaws. All of the drilled holes retained burrs from drilling and threading, for example.

The tumbler was replaced because of a casting flaw at the half cock notch, which, IMHO, created a very potentially dangerous situation.

The tumbler bashing into the bridle, as it stopped the forward movement of the cock would result in a lock that would self-destruct in a relatively short time, so the back of the tumbler was relieved to allow the cock to stop its forward motion on top of the lockplate, at full down.

In addition, once the tumbler/bridle relationship was corrected, the cock dropped so far forward that the flint would bash into the pan, so the shelf on the back of the cock was built up to allow clearance between the flint and pan.

The frizzen and lock plate were pack hardened, as a part of the rebuild. IMHO, the plate appeared to be pretty soft. The steel felt kinda gummy, like it was made of leaded steel, which, IMHO, is too soft to use for a lockplate without being case hardened.

IMHO, the frizzen spring is poorly designed, and should have been replaced with a properly designed spring, but I couldn't find a decent spring that would fit.

Otherwise, the lock wasn't too bad for a Spanish lock. :wink:

The replacement tumbler showed a very minor casting flaw at the half cock notch, so that flaw appears to be pretty common.

I suggest checking the tumbler for that casting flaw, if nothing else.

God bless

Mountainman,
Mine isn't a flint, but I have a percussion A&H, and contrary to J.D.'s experience it is one of the best made factory rifles I have seen in quite a while. Well made, good looking and accurate.
Mark

Could it be similar to the CVA mountain rifle with the early models being made in the US and later models made in Italy? Any idea what a fair price for a 95% rifle would be?

Mountainman,
Mine was also made in Weston, Mo. and is in at least the 95% condition you mention as well as having the box and papers. I'm asking $500 for mine.
Mark

I've got a percussion and flint A&H. Both are dang good guns. The flinter hasn't been fired as much as I would have liked, due to time, but has 500-600 rounds under it's belt so far. It's working smoothly, has a wonderfully light and crisp trigger and is quite accurate.

Those built in Weston, MO are good guns. Those built in Utah are manure.
ck. old posts as i remember commenting on this very subject last month.
good luck.

I posted my experiences with my A&H flinter in a recent thread. Haven't had it long but it seems to be a well made rifle and is a good shooter. It is a Spanish made, Utah gun.

Thank you all for your input. Maybe I should just finish the Isaac Haines rifle I started a year and a half ago. :hmm: What with the 60 hour work weeks, remodeling three interior rooms, re-roofing the house and still to add a carport I haven't had much time left over for gunsmithing. At this point in time it might just be easier to buy one. It sure is a pretty rifle but I'm still trying to talk myself out of it. May have to part with one of my percussion rifles to convince my bride though. :confused:

Planning on a four day getaway trip to Big Bend in early October. Going to meet up with some family and kick back. First thing my wife says is" Will my Jeep be ready?" :doh:

I think maybe I have too many projects. :shake:

Brian, don't dismiss the A-H without checking it over. I had one a few years ago; only sold it because it was a right-hand flinter and I am working at trying to get my rifles/smoothbores all left hand. The only problem, if you can call it that, was that it shot about 5" low at 50 yds. Mine was a Utah gun; as far as I know, only the barrels were made in Spain.

Back