• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Assessing crown / barrel wear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjsoccer3

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve made a few range visits with a pretty new flintlock and think my ramrod has been a bit abrasive on the crown. It’s made of fiberglass and I’ll be switching back to wood. I’ll also work on improving my reloading practices since the wear is on one side across from my reloading hand. This is maybe after around 120-150 shots. The top photo shows “square rifling” while the bottom one is starting to ware into “polygonal rifling”

IMG_9099.jpeg

IMG_9097.jpeg

Makes me wonder. At what point do you call a barrel worn out, and how do you assess wear?

How does it shoot?

Try a steel range rod and brass muzzle guide. If it bothers you, have it lightly coned.
Doesn’t bother me. Although I’m still tinkering with loads it seems quite accurate. Holes touch one another with frequency.

I don't see much wrong there. MAYBE some slight surface abrasion that would be impossible to measure. Fiberglass rods are known to be a killer to crowns and barrels. Use your good HICKORY rod in the field and a decent brass or steel rod plus a brass rod guide and use them at the range and for cleaning. Small investment pays big dividends down the road.

With sandpaper and your thumb you can polish the crown down to about 1/8" into the bore and by rotating the barrel it will even it out. Another benefit of polishing is that it will make loading much easier plus allows you to use thicker patches.

But OTOH if it shoots great already just throw the glass rod away and keep the hickory rod.

I’ve made a few range visits with a pretty new flintlock and think my ramrod has been a bit abrasive on the crown. It’s made of fiberglass and I’ll be switching back to wood. I’ll also work on improving my reloading practices since the wear is on one side across from my reloading hand. This is maybe after around 120-150 shots. The top photo shows “square rifling” while the bottom one is starting to ware into “polygonal rifling”

View attachment 233044

View attachment 233045

Makes me wonder. At what point do you call a barrel worn out, and how do you assess wear?
Fiberglas rods should never be used as they are very abrasive to the crown mainly but also to the lands down bore as they flex into it with loading presser applied to them. You need to make a one piece steel loading rod ( I recommend 5/16s diameter rod stock) with a large ball threaded on the end and a collared muzzle protector that just fits the bore and slides down about an inch. This insures the rod never making contact with the all important land ends (crown) or land edges down bore. I make mine of brass or hard plastic both work very well.
Keep the wood rod for minimal use when hunting as wood will also accumulate grit and wear a crown out.
Your crown needs a touch up into fresh steel to be as accurate as it can be.

Never use a fiberglass rod without a bore protector. I used to work for a company that made fiberglass body parts for the automotive industry. They made Corvette bodies along with others. Fiberglass will eat a steel barrel up in no time.

Back