• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armi Sport 1842 Springfield rifled Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No name stamping.
Above the handle groove it has stamped
"680 J".
Below the handle groove is stamped
"J 0192".
Single cavity. The blocks are anodized aluminum, the sprue cutter plate is steel. No engraved vent lines. Takes Lyman / RCBS handles. The sprue hole is small in diameter and the cavity close to the top of the blocks. Heats up quick and casts great.

Overall, the looks of the blocks and sprue plate makes me think that they were perhaps produced by the same shop that made blocks for TC, who ever that might be.

well now im confused. i sent an email to trackofthewolf and also checked logcabin for the nipple sizes.

logcabin says: 5/16-24
trackofthewolf says: 8-1mm

will try and send an email to armisport and ask them.

I have tried both in my Richmond and the 5/16X24 fit better. The 8mm thread in but they get tight toward the end. I am using the spitfire 5/16X24, but I also have the 5/16X24 for the #11 caps(on stand by).

The 8mm X 1mm thread is .315 in diameter and the thread pitch is 25.4 threads per inch.

That might explain why it seemed to tighten up as it was screwed into a .3125 diameter thread with a 24 threads per inch pitch. :)

i picked up my new 1842 springfield from cabelas before work today.

at first glance the rifle looked great and wasnt nearly as heavy or awkward as i thought it would be. the balance is very good (better then my pennsylvania rifle for sure). now for the bad news, the last 1.5" of the barrel at the muzzle is very rusted on the inside! after pointing this out to cabelas they offered to either refund my money or discount the gun. i accepted the small discount ($54) figuring i could clean the gun up.

ill soak the muzzle in CLP for a couple days and see if i cant handle this rust (if not ill return it). if the problem is gone by the weekend ill swap out the nipple for a #11 and go play with it this weekend!

I own two Armi Sports, one of which is the 1842 .69 cal smoothbore. They are both wonderful guns, but KEEP THEM AWAY FROM MOISTURE, any moisture.... the metal will spot rust at the mention of the word (I've had fingerprint oil leave rust marks). Make sure whatever agent you are using as a protectant is a good one. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent de-rusting mine with steel wool after and during a reinactment.

hrm, good to know thanks!

i know its not correct but maby ill have my rifle blued to help prevent rust. if not blued maby some other rust preventative method...

any suggestions?

I would just leave it alone. After cleaning I put a coat of bore butter inside and out, wipe after handling, and let her age naturally. My Armisport is going on three years old and has no rust on it- never has. But she lives indoors when not at the range, and has never spent the night in the field.

What makes you think that bluing prevents rust? Bluing IS rust done at a high temperature. It hides red rust but doesn't prevent it! Oil or wax prevents rust. :doh:

junkman_01 said:
What makes you think that bluing prevents rust? Bluing IS rust done at a high temperature. It hides red rust but doesn't prevent it! Oil or wax prevents rust. :doh:

bluing doesnt prevent rust but it does make the surface more rust resistant.

leaving it in the white isnt the best idea for WA state. its very very wet here on the west coast of WA and if i give something the slightest chance to rust it will rust with a vengence!

browning is an idea, i love the look of my long rifles barrel. however i dont know squat about the process or what kinda protections it offers the rifle. does browning provide any rust protection?

I could be wrong but isn't the '42 designed to shoot Minie's? I tried shooting RB in my Armisport Enfield, and found the RB shot over a foot high at 50 yards. A friend has an Armisport '42, and experienced similar results.

jbg said:
I could be wrong but isn't the '42 designed to shoot Minie's? I tried shooting RB in my Armisport Enfield, and found the RB shot over a foot high at 50 yards. A friend has an Armisport '42, and experienced similar results.

correct, its a minie ball rifle. it should be firing 730 grain minie balls. from my understanding the armisport model has an oversized barrel so it uses .694 750 grain minie balls.

i need to have a gunsmith measure my barrel for me so i can have a custom minie ball mold made for the rifle. i suspect the barrel will be close to .696 as mentioned earlier in this thread.

jbg said:
You can shoot either.

Matt85:
Here is how effective bluing was as a rust preventative on this blued Renegade.....

pix753026661.jpg

i didnt say blueing would prevent rust, i said it was resistant to rust or at least more so then bare steel.

As was mentioned, bluing is just a form of rust.
Browning is another form of rust.

Both of them are porous and they will absorb oil, holding it against the steel they sit on.

The oil will prevent oxygen from contacting the steel which in turn prevents further rusting.

If one does not apply a coating of a good quality oil to bluing or browning the steel under the coating will continue to rust.

IMO, the Renegades condition is not due to the presence of the bluing but rather, it is due to the negligence of the owner.
The bluing was not properly oiled and kept in a slightly oily condition.

i dont think you can patch a minie, the bottom needs to be exposed to the gases created by the BP. (nothing can be between the bottom of the minie and the powder)

im sure someone will chime in if im wrong.

Matt85 said:
i dont think you can patch a minie, the bottom needs to be exposed to the gases created by the BP. (nothing can be between the bottom of the minie and the powder)

im sure someone will chime in if im wrong.

You can. The tail of the paper gets cut a bit longer than the bullet
and is tucked into the base, similar to paper patched BPCR bullets that have a cupped base. The problem with patching the minie is that you cover the grease grooves that are essential to keeping the fouling under control. I've never tried it, but I would think you'd have to clean between shots with that method. Perhaps filling the cavity with lube after you patch would help.
Most BPCR patched bullet shooters load their cases with a grease "cookie" and a fiber wad below and above it before seating the bullet in the case.

Duane

Latest posts

Back