• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Russian Infantry Musket model 1845

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After conversion of flintlock muskets to percussion had begun one year earlier, the model of 1845 was the first purpose-built percussion firearm adopted by the Imperial Russian army. It was essentially a copy of the french musket mle.1842 with brass fittings.
Curiously, with the conversion of the old flintlocks to percussion their barrels were bored out, from .70 to .71 cal.
Apparently, I have found no official sources confirming this, because the old barrels were in a terrible state and instead of replacing them, the rusty and pitted barrels were simply bored out. This might explain why Russian muskets in Crimea had an uncanny tendency to blow up. But I digress.

The new muskets were built from the outset with .71 cal. barrels.
According to V.E. Markevic's "Handbook of Ammunition and Weapons" the musket fired a .625 round ball over a 138 grain powdercharge. It weighs 4,15kg without and 4,6kg with the bayonet.

Tsar Nicolas I. and his son Alexander personally participated in the trials of the new musket.
They each fired 30 rounds after wich the Tsar announced that: "While shooting, both of us have noticed neither strong recoil nor a tiring of the shoulder."

Test shooting with trained soldiers at targets 1 Arshin 14 Wershoks (4.36 feet) wide and 2 Arshins 12 Wershoks (6.39 feet) high have shown the following hit rates:

At 150 paces: 60%
At 200 paces: 50%
At 250 paces: 40%
At 300 paces: 30%

My Musket was built in 1849 as clearly marked on the lock plate. The letters above the year stand for
"mу́льский оруже́йный заво́д" or "Tula Arms Factory".

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg