• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Arkansas regs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone has gotten to the decision makers in Arkansas' Game and Fish Commission. This year, for deer hunting with a .45 cal. muzzle loader the hunter must use a bullet type projectile of (going by memory here) apx. 250 gr. or more. I hunted for many years, successfully, with my Rev. period flint longrifle in .45 cal. using a lead patched round ball. Only once was a second shot required. That was my fault with a high spine shot. In the kill zone they went down. My wife had multiple one shot kills also. The .45 is plenty adequate. All I can think is the inline crowd got to the G&FC staffers on the caliber issue. Personally, I have other guns I can hunt with but I do not like this restriction at all, especially since it doesn't make any sense. :cursing:

Ya that doesn't make any sense considering people use calibers with much less killing power than that during rifle season. not to mention the pistol hunters. I got my first deer with a brake action .223 when I was twelve. A .45 Bp gun would have been better.

On a side not I would love to see in-lines made illegal in the “Traditional” season here in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I signed a petition not too long ago concerning that. If you want a gun that preforms like a modern rifle that hunt in rifle season. We don’t allow people to use them on or property.

The Commissioners in Arkansas are appointed by the Governor. Never, in 30+ years, have I seen an ordinary citizen/sportsman appointed. They are always, and only, highly successful businessmen (or heirs) who contributed heavily to the Govs. campaign. They do no real deciding. Motions are handed to them written out and are always reccomendations of staff. These guys get the glory and never think on their own. If some staff member has an idea they type it out and it almost invariably gets passed. Doesn't have to make sense. BTW, public input hearings are attended by staff, never a commissioner in sight. Lots of good (not) it does for a citizen to voice an opinion. :(

Back