• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aqua-Fortis?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whatever linseed oil you use, it needs to dry, dry, dry, DRY. Each thin application. If you don't make sure each coat is thoroughly dry before putting on the next, it will never dry.

I've read so many stories of "I put linseed oil on a stock, and it washed out... I'll never use linseed oil again!". You just weren't patient enough and didn't apply it right!

So just how long (at a minimum) should you let BLO dry between coats?. Because one person may say its dry an another may say it needs 3 more days. Also after its dry is it OK to put a light coat of gun wax on it?.

Depends on the oil itself. What is or isn't done to it affect the drying time. Can't be in a hurry. Put on a light application and put it in the sun as much as possible. Days. Maybe even a week. And then leave it for a few days more! Again, it depends on the oil. You can tell (or I can tell, anyway) that the oil is dry by the change in smell of the stock. Now, this super-thick oil I have made up will dry in several hours. But it's not exactly a smooth, leveling, varnish-grade oil... I can only use it in the way I described above.

Doing a lac grain filler makes things go a LOT quicker, and that seems to be the primary way things were done 250 years ago. :wink:

Your results are indisputable. :thumbsup:
The 'authentic' results are breath taking.
However (there is always a "however" or "but" isn't there? :wink: ) I have long been under the impression that blo was not really boiled but simply was a term for linseed oil that had chemicals, mainly drying agents, added.
I really dunno :idunno: has the term been misapplied in modern times?

Rifleman1776 said:
Your results are indisputable. :thumbsup:
The 'authentic' results are breath taking.
However (there is always a "however" or "but" isn't there? :wink: ) I have long been under the impression that blo was not really boiled but simply was a term for linseed oil that had chemicals, mainly drying agents, added.
I really dunno :idunno: has the term been misapplied in modern times?

Yes the term has been mis-applied. Traditional BLO from the 18-19th Centuries was boiled aka heat polymerized.
Modern BLO is a mix of oils with a chemical dryer (not white lead as traditionally used - magnesium or manganese is used, don't remember which).
The problem with modern BLO is that it drys from the outer surface of the BLO inward - it tends to build a skin that delays drying...
The real McCoy drys from the inside out and is not anything like that nasty ole stuff from the hardware/paint store....

Back