• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone Shoot Original Shotguns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to stay out of this since I own and shoot lovely damascus barreled doubles, albeit cartridge. But the "Belgian" aspect of the tubes just wouldn't let me sit tight. Another poster said it best when he spoke of "good barrels being good barrels". If you are able to get this gun at a low price, pleae make sure the barrels have been proofed and are A-OK. My familiarity with proof marks is limited to British barrels only, but I'm sure you could find someone with the expertise with Belgian barrels to check 'em out for you thoroughly before you just go ahead and shoot the gun after a quick "look-see". I'm NOT saying the barrels are unsafe - I'm saying you should make sure they ARE safe. Thanks - Marc

Marc, be sure to understand where barrels come from. Many, many barrels came from Belgium to well known manufactures in the states. I myself shoot them in my old Bakers' and you also want to check where Remington, L.C.Smith, Ithaca, LeFever and Parker.Their Damascus barrels came from Belgium, their fluid steel barrels probably, but not all, came from England.(you will find this in formation in Carders book "Side by Sides of the World for Y2K") Not that English barrels are bad at all, but they are soldered and not brazed together like Belgium barrels. Personally, I have never seen a Belgium barrel come apart at the ribs. But, the old English barrels I have had, were either had relaid ribs, or needed relaid ribs.

I rescued an old 1850's Belgian made 14 bore and It shoots great. I had a hone run down the bore and shined it up a bit, I replaced both nipples with oversized 1/4x28s and had to fit 2 new L&R back action locks to it, but the effort was worth it. It feels great when you throw it up to your shoulder.

luie b said:
I was just looking at the auction catalog of an auction in town that is going to have an Albert Greener double barrel shotgun made in London. There is a good chance it would go for under $300. Would it be ok to shoot? I just don't know if people actually shoot those antique guns.

Yes. I have shot an original one. I enjoyed looking at it and handling it better, though.

It depends on the condition of the shotgun. Some were not used too much and everyting being still tight, are safe to use. Until ten years ago, I sometimes used a 10 guage damascus barrel percussion. I stopped using it because I do not want to diminish its value any further.

Dave - I know very well that MANY American shotguns had Belgian-made barrels. I myself only own and shoot damascus barreled guns with an English pedigree, only because that's where my interests lean. I should mention here that I also shoot smokeless powder in these guns, albeit with LOW pressure. OK, so be it. I also stated in my post that I am well aware that MANY Belgian damascus tubes are perfectly safe to shoot. The only point I wished to make at all is that any and all guns over a century old should be determined as safe before fingers go flying through the air. That's it. Damascus bafrrels are my hands-down favorite barrels on guns and I love shooting them. Because of the jacking up of prices on the old cartridge doubles I favor I have been thinking of looking into finding old muzzleloading doubles myself. Maybe I'll take a trip to that auction and swipe that "A" Greener out from everyone!

Marc, I understand. I just wanted to be sure that people didn't think that just because the barrels are Belgium, they are unsuitable. It is the condition of the gun that means everything. I myself shoot only low pressure in my cartridge guns that I reload for all of them. At the current rate, I am down to 6 old Damascus/composite barreled breechloaders, but a few more than that in muzzleloader and have owned many more than that. My interest has been on the American breechloader guns, but I am wide open on the muzzleloaders. As you know, some guns fit like they were made for you, those guns you don't sell. Guns that I have to adapt to, get moved on.

I have resurrected a few original double muzzleloaders. It is a factor of barrel wall thickness, pitting, and overall condition.

Of the ones I shoot, all have Belgian barrels. There is a winter project English double 24 in the closet that has been waiting patiently for a few years.

Another project gun is a double with 38 inch barrels. Never came across a double like it.

Dave - Like I figured, we're on the same page but these electronic words sure have a knack for misunderstanding. And yes, selling guns to get through a "bad patch" is heart-wrenching. I tried explaining that to my wife last night. She pretty much understood, but when I started talking about looking for "one or two" now that the $ situation isn't so bleak, that she really didn't understand at all. But I'm going to get my way.......somehow, some way. Someday. Honest.........

Back