• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone have a TVM "Matt's Pistol"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JN01

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was browsing TVM's site and saw their .50 cal smoothbore pistol. It looks sweet, but I was wondering how it is balanced, how it points, etc.

Anyone have one?

picked mine up last month. browned barrel and lock, and a beautiful piece of curly maple. handles and points just fine. the workmanship is top notch. wont be able to shoot it for a few months though.

It's a flint, 50 cal smoothbore, octagon to round. there's a pic of it on their website under 'tennessee pistol'. great people to work with.

I have the mountain pistol in .62 smoothbore with a 12" barrel and it balances nicely with a slight forward bias. This new pistol looks to me like it would lie real sweet in the hand and in addition, these are fine folks to do business with.

wolffeone-

Is it muzzle heavy at all? How long did you have to wait for delivery?

not muzzle heavy at all. the barrel is oct to round so most of the weight is almost centered over the lock. also the grip is large, lot of wood at bottom, this also counters the weight of the barrel. as for delivery time, matt said about 6 months, i had it in 5 1/2. it was worth the wait.

I handled several at Dixon's two summers ago, and I was impressed enough to order a kit. Now I haven't put that together yet :( but that's another story...

Howdy!

Newbie question...just starting to study pistols and I'd love to have one of these. Would Matt's pistol (listed as an "earlier style") be "PC" for 1800's only, or is it more in a style for any given time period? Curious about any documented pistol, style or era it imitates.

Thanks,
Jet

It believe it is supposed to represent a mid to third quarter eighteenth century type pistol- particularly with the octagon to round barrel and butt shape. Early pistols usually had no sights or just a front sight. The "Kentucky" styles didn't really become prevalent until the 1790s or so. A lot of the early pistols seem to have somewhat fancy furniture and most have butt caps, although there are a few examples of plainer guns without butt caps.

Wolffeone (or anybody else), by any chance do you have a couple pictures of your "Matt's pistol"?

I'm thinking about my first build, and since I'm really yearning for a flintlock pistol, I think this may be the one for me. I was looking at it on TVM's website the other night, but I have a feeling the picture doesn't do it justice.

the picture doesn't do it justice at all. hopefully in the next couple of weeks i'll be able to post some photo's of it.

Latest posts

Back