• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody else "play guns"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKirk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
When I was a kid, the neighbor kids would come knock on the door and ask "Wanna play guns?"
As of late, I find myself "playing guns" more and more, since all the kids are gone. That means, pulling out the BP revolvers and (after checking, each and every time, for unloaded cylinder) I find myself clicking and pointing (but NOT dry-firing, obviously!) all my BP revolvers; i.e. "practicing" gun handling. I find my point-and-aim and cocking skills to be appreciably better, and the guns just "feel better" in my hands. It's to the point where I feel like I'm neglecting my guns if I don't "play guns" several nights a week! So, am I alone here? C'mon, fess up... :idunno:

CaptainKirk said:
When I was a kid, the neighbor kids would come knock on the door and ask "Wanna play guns?"
As of late, I find myself "playing guns" more and more, since all the kids are gone. That means, pulling out the BP revolvers and (after checking, each and every time, for unloaded cylinder) I find myself clicking and pointing (but NOT dry-firing, obviously!) all my BP revolvers; i.e. "practicing" gun handling. I find my point-and-aim and cocking skills to be appreciably better, and the guns just "feel better" in my hands. It's to the point where I feel like I'm neglecting my guns if I don't "play guns" several nights a week! So, am I alone here? C'mon, fess up... :idunno:
I do. After midnight,when no one else in the house, with the lights off. :redface:
Gotta be carefull, though. My brother-in-law put a .22 round through his big toe. :idunno:

I've been known to do it... but the clicking drives my wife "ballistic" ( :wink: ) so she really has broken me of the daily habit over the years.

Now it's only a few time a year instead on almost nightly. :(

I think that anybody who wants to learn to handle firearms correctly should practice this way. It's what I teach my students and friends & family. What you're doing is training your eye & hand coordination and developing muscle-memory by handling & cocking & aiming the revolvers. I also do this right in my living room while watching TV, so I only cock the revolvers during the commercials so the wife doesn't get P.O'd :rotf: .

I practice both free-style (two handed hold) as well as duelist (strong hand only). I also practice with both hands, so I use the weak hand to develop muscle memory in the weak hand.

I've been known to pick one of my revolvers and to practice with a single model for a couple of nights just prior to a major match or NRA Qualification Match.

Winners KNOW their guns! Doesn't matter what discipline, I.E.: USPSA, IDPA, World Class Steel, or Black Powder! Folks who don't practice don't WIN!

Dave

Almost each day I well pick two revolver, remove the nipples and play guns. My wife even joins in, at first just to humor me, but she has become a pistol packin' mama. Everyday after lunch we put the western channel on.

I guess I can come out of the closet now. I guess I too have to bring forth my habit. I have right now 2 psitols within reach of my key board.

Back when I was the firearms instructor at a police academy, most of the cadets coming through had no previous experience with guns, handguns in particular. I always recommended for them to play (with great attention to safety) with their issue weapon. If you depend on a gun you do need to know the feel as you would the handshake of an old friend. I frequently handle my firearms, dry fire them and manipulate the mechanisms. Good time to check for problems, too.

I've allways played like that, guns, knifes, swords.....Yes, I've shot myself in the finger and cut myself hundreds of times, but now these tools feel like an extension of my own body.
After watching "Lord of the rings" I accidentally chopped a piece out of the bookshelf while holding off an army of Orchs. :youcrazy:

I guess these skills will be useful, some day after the apocalypse when hungry zombies come to suck our brains out.

Xtramad said:
I've allways played like that, guns, knifes, swords.....Yes, I've shot myself in the finger and cut myself hundreds of times, but now these tools feel like an extension of my own body.
After watching "Lord of the rings" I accidentally chopped a piece out of the bookshelf while holding off an army of Orchs. :youcrazy:

I guess these skills will be useful, some day after the apocalypse when hungry zombies come to suck our brains out.

Hello Xtramad,

We all have different needs and skill sets as shooters or martial artists.

I've got to strongly disagree with your sarcasm for 2 reasons.

1st as a former competitive combat shooter, former cowboy action shooter and as somebody who still trains to carry a firearm for self defense.

2nd as a Historic Fencing instructor who spends hours each week training with medieval weapons... longsword, arming sword, sword and buckler, spear, poleaxe, and dagger as taught in the Liechtenauer system of the German City states of the 14th & 15th century.

I've been trained on the "art" of drying firing to keep the combat skills up.

A full practice would include drawing from the holster, target engagement, safe drying firing at the target, magazine changes, malfunction clearance drills et al.

You can keep your shooting skills near their peak by correct and safe dry firing drills.

Knowing and being comfortable with your duty, competition, or self protection firearm is rather a good idea.

I've seen to many people fumble with a firearm at the range as they were unsure, unfamiliar, or just untrained over the last 39 years of shooting.

As a Western Martial Artist I, and all others that I know practice set drills with a imaginary partner when training alone (solo drills) or as a class with all students doing said drill alone. We do paired drills as part of the instruction, but sometimes solo is the way to go as I can see how 20 people are doing the same move as an instructor.

So, in closing, I've never cut myself, shot myself or anybody else, never done a dry firing session with live ammo and really am not training for a zombie apocalypse.

But with that said:

Swords never run out of bullets.

Brains!!

P.S Here is a good vid of the style of the Liechtenauer swordplay I study and teach
[youtube]Kj4Ng6DBfrg[/youtube]

Yes when I was competing in IPSC ,I used to prac. reloads (empty mags of course ),tap rack bangs, clearing jams etc. in the dark.It trains your reflexs so you can focus on your target, and not stop and look at your gun.IT IS AN OLD TRAINING METHOD BY THE WAY. :v

It has been said, the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. I'm guilty!

Impressive swordplay even when done at slow speed. Looks like a lot of full speed sword fights would be over pretty quickly.

Many Klatch

Many Klatch said:
Impressive swordplay even when done at slow speed. Looks like a lot of full speed sword fights would be over pretty quickly

Hello Many Klatch,

Good Eye,they are demonstrating techniques at half speed for most of the actions.

The answer to your latter statement is 1 to 3 moves. A period Italian sword master said something along the lines of "If neither of you can hit the other in no more than 5 moves then neither of you know how to use a sword."

Now back to pistols, something else I love. :hatsoff:

David- that looks like a great system with very economical moves--sort of a seemless transition from a defensive movement into an offensive one, has similarities with Arnis--cheers brett

-----years ago--I was not present--both of my brothers were practicing quick draw with 22 cal revolvers--one shot himself in the foot--other one shot himself in the leg--IDIOTS-- :idunno: :idunno: :idunno: :idunno:

Back