• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Problems With the Whitneyville Dragoon?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattole

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been interested in getting a Dragoon recently and I like the look of the larger Walker grip on the Whitneyville. However I know this model has the oval cylinder notches, which I read somewhere can lead to imprecise cylinder indexing. Have any of you Whitneyville owners out there experienced an indexing problem with your pistol, or do you know of anyone who has? Any reason not to get a Whitneyville that I should know about, as opposed to a 2nd or 3rd model Dragoon? The pistol will be used for general fun blasting of inanimate objects, mostly of the paper and the soup-can variety. Many thanks.

The oval cylinder notches are no different than the cylinder notches in the Walker.

There are a LOT of people here, including myself who own reproductions of the Walker and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about cylinder indexing or even having a problem with the cylinder bolt entering the oval notches.

The Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon made an attempt to improve the "falling loading lever" problem by installing a latch on the front of the loading lever.

The originals used parts that were left over from the Walker production so most of the other parts were the same as the Walker.
One exception to this was the later Whitneyville's changed the frame and grips to a flat vertical surface where the grips meet the frame, the same as the later first, second and third Dragoon and all colt pistols made after the Walker.
The early Whitneyvills had the same grip and frame as the Walkers with the grip meeting the frame in a curve.

Thank you Zonie. Your answer was informative, thorough and helpful, as always.

Back