• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any members build their own underhammer rifle lock and or rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need another project, and mulling over the thought of a underhammer rifle build. I have ordered the book "The Underhammer Rifle", by Baron. I know very little about them, but seek input from experience UH builders.
Thanks in advance.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

I love the looks and feel of the underhammer. I used to fondle a 62 caliber at the BP shop all the time. I need to check that book out.

Well here's two of mine, with a drawing of an Hilliard/Kendall style of action.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Attachments

• Brass Box Lock.jpg
    Brass Box Lock.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 165
  • DS UH1.jpg
    DS UH1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Underhammer.jpg
    Underhammer.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 152
Do a search for "Underhammer Society".

The blog is closed, but there is a lot of information there you cannot find any other place about underhammers. Pictures of some of the finest ones ever made.

The barrel is 7/8 octagon x 28" long. The "receiver" and plug are integral and they are bored for a powder chamber. The nipple is at the rear of the powder chamber. The nipple is completely recessed into the receiver. My aim was to contain cap/powder flash so my grandaughter would not be stung on the supporting arm by the ignition. In this I was successful. The opposite side of the receiver has a cut-out to facilitate capping as can be seen in the picture below. The tip of the nipple cone is just visible.

2014-01-12 14.49.48.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-01-12 14.49.48.jpg
    2014-01-12 14.49.48.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 58
The H&A type action could be modified to fit into a one piece stock, just like a modern rifle, are your typical ML. The receiver doesn't need to be round and thick. It could be made flat sided and no wider than the barrel, or even narrower. I've often thought such a rifle might be really fun to build. Inletting would be very simple. You could even do it with a hooked breech..

I noticed one of it had a double set trigger. Do you mind showing us mechanism for that? Thanks!
Obi,

Need to remake that lock insert actually.. I had an area too thin and it broke. I also need to refine the design as its a prototype. In reality,
a good UH design doesn't really benefit from a DS trigger?

in hindsight, it was an ego build.. after being told "better builders than I had tried to make a double set UH and couldn't..
so what made me think I could? "< someone else had suggested the idea, at a campfire, I just when Hmmmm🤔 >
After being told that, it was game on!!! the whole working length of the lock insert fits into about 3 1/2"x 1/2" if I remember correctly??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Carleton1w.jpg

This is my latest. [Not Finished]
Not your typical under hammer.
I have a walnut stock for it.
This one is a .58 cal.
I have several ideas for a half cock, but have not made one yet.

Last edited:
Hey B,

What flavor of stainless are you working with? I've not had a lot of experience with SS and but have seen some work hardening
when I did. Any Hints and tips? Always wanting to learn.

Metalshaper/Jonathan

I do not remember.
Non magnetic.
304 is more than likely.
It dents easily.
The 7 ga was double balled and loaded with 340-350 grains of FF several times.
Tied in a tire, behind a tree.
Has over a thousand rounds thru it.

Kansas,
I built a one piece full stock underhammer a lot of years ago. Worked out fine and shoots well. I used H&A parts, not the receiver.

Back