• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antonio Zoli and Company, Italy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20220408_124134.jpg
20220408_124155.jpg
Antonio zoli dragoon pistol barrel project any ideas

ive got a zoli 1863 that has a bobby hoyr 7 groove barrel liner the rear sight has a flip up 50 and 100 yard sights 60 grains pyro 2F real black either or with the .575 500 minnies or the .578 trash cans and they fly great my gun is beautiful no issues trigger immaculatre on of the best investments and muzzleloaders ive bought it had been re worked and set up for NSSA shooting or so im told wonderful rifle

Thanks, Dave. I Googled Northeast Traders and called 508-695-4852. The man there said there had never been a John working there.
https://www.northeasttradeco.com/570-546-2061
Ask for John. And yes, he’s real, alive, and still current owner and extremely knowledgeable and has a great selection of replacement ram rods for a number of military type muzzleloaders in both steel and brass

Oh just an update....checked date code....1964! A 58 caliber, that's 58 years old, for a 58 year old guy (me). Great day!
A "Mississippi" was originally a 54 but many were rebored to 58 during the Civil War to ease ammunition supply problems. With the 54cal barrel, you have what is essentially a "bull" barrel. While heavy and not the best thing to be carrying around, it can make for a deadly accurate rifle with great offhand shooting characteristics.

One word on the "Zouave" thing. There was never, ever, a musket design called the "Zouave". That's a much later name attached to these guns cuz the "Zouaves" were supposedly the cool kids. The musket is actually a Remington 1863 contract. A contractual bone the gov threw to Remington to be sure of a supply of the best muskets available. Remington was barely able to fill the contract and at that, was late and that resulted in this model be virtually unissued in the War. With most militarys of the world moving to breech loading arms, muzzleloading muskets were on the edge of obsolescence even as the Civil War started ensuring that any more muskets produced would be obsolete by the end of the War.

A "Mississippi" was originally a 54 but many were rebored to 58 during the Civil War to ease ammunition supply problems. With the 54cal barrel, you have what is essentially a "bull" barrel. While heavy and not the best thing to be carrying around, it can make for a deadly accurate rifle with great offhand shooting characteristics.

One word on the "Zouave" thing. There was never, ever, a musket design called the "Zouave". That's a much later name attached to these guns cuz the "Zouaves" were supposedly the cool kids. The musket is actually a Remington 1863 contract. A contractual bone the gov threw to Remington to be sure of a supply of the best muskets available. Remington was barely able to fill the contract and at that, was late and that resulted in this model be virtually unissued in the War. With most militarys of the world moving to breech loading arms, muzzleloading muskets were on the edge of obsolescence even as the Civil War started ensuring that any more muskets produced would be obsolete by the end of the War.
Yeah, thus the reason why I needed to add an 1841 back into my arsenal. The "Zouave" is a great rifle, but is just NOT a true representation of a battlefield weapon of the ACW. I had an 1841 over 30 years ago, back when they were plentiful and cheap. I've sold/traded way too many guns over the years that now are darn near impossible to get and that was one of them. The seller of this one assumed it was a Zouave copy and the pics were absolutely clear it was a Zoli Mississippi. Price was well below what one can be had for now. I did not see in the pics the serial number so it was a great surprise to see how old it is and there is something about the steel and overall fitment...just superior over more recent offerings out of Italy. It's been a good gun year for me...finished a Kibler Colonial in .58, I turned 58 years and still feel good, now a .58 1841 joins the stable that is also 58 years old. Is the lottery up to 58 billion yet?

I have a BH I acquired in a recent local auction. How do I tell the year of manufacture and where can I find a ram rod?

Thanks.
October Country will make you a brass ( shiny or antiqued) ramrod to the any length, diameter & thread spec you require.

My great grandfather was born in 1847 he enlisted in the 165th NY infantry regiment 1863 at the age of 15. They were also known as Duryeas second Zouaves . He returned home in 1866 we think he was pretty cool

Greetings!

Every Zoli Muzzle Loader I’ve owned has had problems. The Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter had a ramrod tip that wasn’t pinned on. The screw slots were super thin.

One 58 caliber Navy Arms 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle had a frizzen that wasn’t hardened. The other I have now has really bad lock ergonomics. It eats flints like crazy!

Oftentimes, the wood-to-metal fit isn’t what it should be. I've sold every one I've bought.

However, I knew a guy from the Civil War Shooters Society that swore by their rifles for that time period.

Did I just buy some bad ones or are they really that poor of quality?

Thanks!

Walt

P.S.: I really want an 1803. It looks like TOW has taken the kit off its website. I heard Pedersoli bought Euroarms but the 1803 isn't in their current lineup.
I just posted about an 1803 I just got NIB; AA date code 1975. Very tight wood to metal fit! Mainspring seems a bit heavy, and the touch hole is a bit too high above floor of the pan. Over all a nice, original-box, un-fired 48-year-old Zoli 1803! It has the Navy Arms stamp on the lockplate, and it's just really nice, so I'm not gonna strip and stain the wood like I might normally do; it's light color, but nice grain, I'll leave it alone. Does seem to spark OK. Thanks.

Greetings!

Every Zoli Muzzle Loader I’ve owned has had problems. The Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter had a ramrod tip that wasn’t pinned on. The screw slots were super thin.

One 58 caliber Navy Arms 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle had a frizzen that wasn’t hardened. The other I have now has really bad lock ergonomics. It eats flints like crazy!

Oftentimes, the wood-to-metal fit isn’t what it should be. I've sold every one I've bought.

However, I knew a guy from the Civil War Shooters Society that swore by their rifles for that time period.

Did I just buy some bad ones or are they really that poor of quality?

Thanks!

Walt

P.S.: I really want an 1803. It looks like TOW has taken the kit off its website. I heard Pedersoli bought Euroarms but the 1803 isn't in their current lineup.

Back