• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harpers Ferry 1803 Antonio Zoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I posted on here a while ago about buying a rifle. I went with a nice .50 cal rifle and took I out to do some shooting after about 3 shots the cock snapped out of the lock and the mainspring was damaged. The seller bought it back from me to repair it and apologized for the failure. I am now back on the hunt for a rifle. There is a guy one of my friends know in Piedmont, WV selling an 1803 Harper's Ferry Rifle Antonio Zoli Reproduction. It is .58 caliber and has a 33" barrel. I haven't taken any pictures of I yet as we are still trying to get a price worked out. My question is are these rifle worth buying or are they an Italian junk Reproduction rifle that is riddled with problems. Thanks to all who reply.

Original harpers ferry’s were 54. The barrels zoli used on his harpers ferry’s are the same barrels they used for zouaves and others meant for shooting minies. That’s why they are 58 instead of 54. That’s not saying they won’t shoot well with roundballs but it’s something to be aware of. It is shallow rifling for minies. The locks are fairly good. If you want a harpers ferry build one from a track or Rifle shoppe kit. Those zoli rifles were mostly built many decades ago and parts for those locks are not easy to find unless you are handy making your own parts/springs. I’d pass on it unless it’s really cheap, sparks well and the bore looks good. I have a HF built from a rifle shoppe kit with a Davis lock. The euroarms HF rifles are more correct being a 54 but their locks were terrible without replacement or lots of work.

Last edited:
FWIW I have a Zoli Zouave that is a 1-ragged-hole-group shooter @ 50-yards using Minies sized to 0.002" less than the bore lands diameter. I use the sizer from Lodgewood.

It did OK with RBs too, I just never bothered working up a good load for them, as I don't hunt with it.

Original harpers ferry’s were 54. The barrels zoli used on his harpers ferry’s are the same barrels they used for zouaves and others meant for shooting minies. That’s why they are 58 instead of 54. That’s not saying they won’t shoot well with roundballs but it’s something to be aware of. It is shallow rifling for minies. The locks are fairly good. If you want a harpers ferry build one from a track or Rifle shoppe kit. Those zoli rifles were mostly built many decades ago and parts for those locks are not easy to find unless you are handy making your own parts/springs. I’d pass on it unless it’s really cheap, sparks well and the bore looks good. I have a HF built from a rifle shoppe kit with a Davis lock. The euroarms HF rifles are more correct being a 54 but their locks were terrible without replacement or lots of work.
Thanks for the reply, definitely need that info. I'm not really dead set on a Harper's Ferry Rifle it was just up for sale nearby as I am in need of a flintlock rifle. They do look good though, how hard is a Rifle Shoppe Kit in terms of assembly and completion ive never done a kit before.

Thanks for the reply, definitely need that info. I'm not really dead set on a Harper's Ferry Rifle it was just up for sale nearby as I am in need of a flintlock rifle. They do look good though, how hard is a Rifle Shoppe Kit in terms of assembly and completion ive never done a kit before.
You'll find the Rifle Shop kits are for experienced guys who've had lots of hands-on.

Hard enough that I’d never tackle the job. Someone else built mine. My woodworking skills are terrible and my patience even worse.

Since the Rifle Shoppe's locks are excellent but are a collection of as cast parts. You will need to find someone to assemble the lock. The Track of the Wolf kit with an assembled Davis lock would be a better choice. But these kits are not necessarily for the faint of heart or a first-time kit builder.

I have an 1803 Harper's Ferry that was the Track of the Wolf kit when they used Rifle Shoppe parts for their advanced special projects kits. I bought the lock from the Rifle Shoppe and had them assemble and do all the hardening and tempering of the parts that needed to be hardened and tempered. It was worth the cost and the wait.

Long ago we got a flyer from DGW closing out many MLs they were overstocked with. We bought like 25 for the shop. Tenn Mtn rifles, Dixies Long rifles, HF rifles and pistols. All sold fast - almost TOO fast and retained only one each of the Mtn Rifle, HF rifle and Pistol. Should bit the bullet and bought a pallet of each as the quality was very high and almost better investment than anything else. The Zolis were very nice but the Pedersolis were even better.

Zoli made a nice gun. Well executed with good parts except for the lock…they seemed to range from bad to terrible.

Mine is a .54. Great shooter. Lock has been replaced with an L&R. Great gun now.

I love the 1841, and had an ancestor on the Corps of Discovery, so I have always been fascinated by the 1803.

Here’s the But though, they are heavy, unbalanced and don’t really handle well. Cool gun to own and shoot, but it’s a lot like kissing your cousin.

Last edited:
I had an 1803 Harper's Ferry that I couldn't get to shoot particularly well. I performed a few little nuances (like screw down the brass band at the fore stock and secure the wedge plates with screws as they were glued-in). It was a nice-looking piece. I sold it to a friend who had his previously stolen. He claims that it is a "tack-driver." He is also a "teller of tall tails." I replaced mine with the Pedersoli version (that I have yet to shoot). If the price is right-go for it.

I still get a kick out of the display in the Museum under the Arch in St. Louis. In the display there was a Harper's Ferry rifle with the implication this was the short rifle used by the Corps of Discovery. Very plainly engraved on the barrel was Anthony Zoli Italy. See, there's proof that Zoli was making rifles since 1803! Not! Well, they meant well.

Last edited:
My question is are these rifle worth buying or are they an Italian junk Reproduction rifle
NO they re not. Buy quality, get quality.
Since I built my rifle in 05, the Chamber's lock has work flawlessly.

If you are set on an 1803 Harpers, I would suggest The Rifle Shoppe. Jess Melot knows more about them than just about any one.
His rifles are as historically correct as you can get. Before making all his own parts (cept grn mt barrel)
He went to every museum that had an 1803 and measured each and every one.
Then used the average and made his parts from those documented sizes.

I have a Zoli 1803, that is a pretty consistent with a PRB. Frozen had to be hardened, but other than that, I've never had an issue with it. Its my current long range elk gun. Apologies digging up a dead horse, but 1803 passion never dies. Hope you bought it.

I have a Zoli 1803, that is a pretty consistent with a PRB. Frozen had to be hardened, but other than that, I've never had an issue with it. Its my current long range elk gun. Apologies digging up a dead horse, but 1803 passion never dies. Hope you bought it.
Frizzen*

Attachments

• received_186577280302690.jpeg
    received_186577280302690.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
The zoli and later euroarms 1803 rifle was not an honest copy of an 1803 rifle.

The lock is a copy of a design by a British lock maker, I believe Manton but not certain. All 1803 rifles had military styled locks which, basically a mini Springfield or 1808 lock with an integral pan. The zoli clock has a raised waterproof pan, the springs are wrong and the plate is not shapped right at all and neither is the cock.

The best way to describe the zoli 1803 rifle is its much more like a half stock hawken then an 1803.

The barrels by zoli were in .58 for a few reasons, 1. They used button three groove rifling in their patterns and didn’t want to change to a .54 with additional grooves. The barrels were heavier for a .58 with a solid underrib, in .54 the weight of the gun would have exceeded 11 lbs and imbalancing it.

Euroarms corrected the barrel by making it slimmer and used an 8 groove square cut rifling. With the underrib the weight was pretty good.

Overall i like the 1803 by Euroarms, mine has a very reliable lock and very nice stock. I also changed out the front sight with a dovetailed sight and changed out the rear sight.

NO they re not. Buy quality, get quality.
Since I built my rifle in 05, the Chamber's lock has work flawlessly.

If you are set on an 1803 Harpers, I would suggest The Rifle Shoppe. Jess Melot knows more about them than just about any one.
His rifles are as historically correct as you can get. Before making all his own parts (cept grn mt barrel)
He went to every museum that had an 1803 and measured each and every one.
Then used the average and made his parts from those documented sizes.

But you might have a couple of birthdays before you get your part or parts set after you place your order.
Just be prepared.

I have my eye on a Zoli coming up for possible sale. So, do I need to right away have the frizzen hardened? What year did they stop making them at Zoli?

Latest posts

Back