• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harpers Ferry 1803 Antonio Zoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Zoli through Navy Arms in 1980 for $125. Yes, It was a .58 with a Minie ball type of rifling. I never shot minies through it, always round ball. It shot well for me. The lock was good, albeit, a flint smasher. Always sparked if you kept a good flint in it. Probably get a dozen or so ignitions and the flint would be bashed quite a bit. But then, flints were cheap back then and I just changed them frequently. Shot a few deer with it. In later 1980s I had Ken Bresien of Warsaw, NY line it to .54 with a 1:48 twist. ($100.)
It was a fantastic shooting rifle.
IN 1993, we had moved to a country home and started to raise horses. So, l sold the gun to buy a horse. (Stupid me, the horse died.) In 2012, I got the itch again for the 1803, contacted the previous buyer, who informed me he had sold it years ago. Where it was, no clue. So I built one from Pecatonica parts with Colerain barrel and Davis lock. This gun is a shooter.
jgOlnuQXRSOCXPsUkGuzbg.jpg

BUT, in 2012, the parts for the 1803 from Pecatonica was $756. And, it was not the easiest build. Love the gun now, great deer gun. Shot one a few years back, dropped it in its tracks.
Zolis are fine, I probably would try to get a .54 but then I do like to be a bit more HC.

So I posted on here a while ago about buying a rifle. I went with a nice .50 cal rifle and took I out to do some shooting after about 3 shots the cock snapped out of the lock and the mainspring was damaged. The seller bought it back from me to repair it and apologized for the failure. I am now back on the hunt for a rifle. There is a guy one of my friends know in Piedmont, WV selling an 1803 Harper's Ferry Rifle Antonio Zoli Reproduction. It is .58 caliber and has a 33" barrel. I haven't taken any pictures of I yet as we are still trying to get a price worked out. My question is are these rifle worth buying or are they an Italian junk Reproduction rifle that is riddled with problems. Thanks to all who reply.
My new-in-box 1975 Zoli 1803 is beautifully fitted; Navy Arms lock marked. Mainspring seems a bit too strong, and the touch hole is a bit too high above the pan's "floor", but wood to metal fit is excellent. Wood is very nice grained walnut.

Back