• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique Halfstock Squirrel Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravenousfishing

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently got this 36cal halfstock rifle and was looking for any info on it. Nice aged patina, no rust.There are no markings on the barrel. The engraved lock has a dog (setter?) and a name inside a scroll that is unreadable. At first glance, I thought it says Goulcher but now I am not so sure. The rear sight is an interesting adjustable model that pivots on a center screw and is tightened in place with a beavertail shaped tab on the front of the sight. The front sight has an insert that is the color of ivory but i don't think that is what it is.It appears to be a walnut stock with checkering at the wrist and forearm. All of the brass furniture is engraved and the fit of everything is perfect. May be a factory made rifle? Any ideas?
plains001.jpg

plains007.jpg

plains010.jpg

plains015.jpg

plains014.jpg

plains044.jpg

plains006.jpg

I have a similar looking, original rifle. Mine is a .32 caliber. I believe the style is generally referred to as an "Ohio Rifle". In fact, mine is marked "Wareham" on the barrel, and there was a father and son named Wareham making this type of rifle in a shop near Akron, OH. in the 1850s and 60s. The style is common and there were a lot of various makers.

Sweet lookin Rifle ya got there! I would sau that's a keeper fer sure! Theres alot of small bore original rifles around here in West Virginia that go on the auction block but none compare to yours.... :thumbsup:

That is a very interesting piece. The checkering is like nothing I've ever seen on an American ML rifle. And that rear sight, I can't fathom the need for such instantaneous windage adjustment unless it was to lead a running boar target. :confused:

Definitely don't know the thinking on that sight. There is a centerline witness mark that makes it easy to return to center, but seems way to easy to move to me.

The checkering seems kind of odd to me. Sort of looks like later work possibly. I wonder if it could be a rifle from the 1930s or 40s. Maybe a restock of a 19th century gun? I don't recall ever seeing an 1800s piece with that style of work on it.

Looking at the engraving it reminds me of a Billy Veeters rifle that a guy owns that comes to the York match. Veeters lived in Indiana & made guns back in the mid to early 1900s

The checkering looks modern, the gun could be a lot older. It almost looks like an original that was cleaned up by a "modern" gunsmith maybe in the 1950's.

Many Klatch

I agree with Rancocas about the rifle looking like two I have seen in Ohio but those did not have checkering or as nice!

Great find, enjoy let us know how it shoots!

Back