• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique Firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This 1858 percussion muzzleloading Pritchett rifle is an antique -

1668550402056.png

This 1980 percussion muzzle-loading Parker-Hale 'Whitworth'-style rifle is NOT an antique.

1668550508058.png

Seems to be a variety of not so well thought out & self centered comments on this new category proposal.

The majority of us our own areas of historical firearms interest, we should not get too nitpicky & expect everyone to march to the desires of a few individuals.
Example;
A great many of us on this forum shoot original & replica Civil War era revolvers & rifles including the percussion Sharps.
My replica & original mid-1800s Cap & Ball Revolvers could be loaded from the muzzle but thats not preferable, would they be banned from this new antique category ?
Some have previously posted firearms like the 1700s era Ferguson flintlock & mid 1800s percussion rifles & pistols that could be loaded from the muzzle or breech,
would they be banned ?
I've collected & shot both replica & original flintlock & percussion firearms over the past 60+ years & was in favor of this 'new proposed original antique category.
However if the Forum is trending to ban numerous early historical firearm innovations like the Ferguson, Browning's harmonica it's going over the top dictatorial.
If it's the forum's general consensus that the above historical type of firearms be banned, I respectfully request that this new category proposal be dropped.
relic shooter

Seems to be a variety of not so well thought out & self centered comments on this new category proposal.

The majority of us our own areas of historical firearms interest, we should not get too nitpicky & expect everyone to march to the desires of a few individuals.
Example;
A great many of us on this forum shoot original & replica Civil War era revolvers & rifles including the percussion Sharps.
My replica & original mid-1800s Cap & Ball Revolvers could be loaded from the muzzle but thats not preferable, would they be banned from this new antique category ?
Some have previously posted firearms like the 1700s era Ferguson flintlock & mid 1800s percussion rifles & pistols that could be loaded from the muzzle or breech,
would they be banned ?
I've collected & shot both replica & original flintlock & percussion firearms over the past 60+ years & was in favor of this 'new proposed original antique category.
However if the Forum is trending to ban numerous early historical firearm innovations like the Ferguson, Browning's harmonica it's going over the top dictatorial.
If it's the forum's general consensus that the above historical type of firearms be banned, I respectfully request that this new category proposal be dropped.
relic shooter
@relic shooter, this thread is now seven pages long. That's a lot to read if you are just now coming into the discussion, so you may have missed some of the conversation. I think the way things are leaning right now, the proposed Antiques forum will follow most existing forum rules and guidelines. Of the firearms which are currently allowed on the Muzzleloading Forum, the only guns that would be "banned" from the Antiques forum would be those which are not actual antiques. Any antique gun currently allowed on the Muzzleloading Forum would be allowed in the proposed Antiques Forum.

The forum rules can be accessed HERE. If you don't want to read the whole thing, at least please read #1, #7, #8, and the section at the bottom identified as "Posts For Breechloading Guns."

Your original Civil War era revolvers and rifles, including the percussion Sharps, would be welcome on the proposed Antiques Forum. Replicas of those guns would not. Please see post #123 above, by @TFoley However, you can discuss those replicas in other sections of the Muzzleloading Forum, just as you do now.

Guns like the Ferguson flintlock which you mentioned, also the breechloading Hall rifles and so forth would be allowed in the proposed Antiques Forum if they are actual antiques. If they are modern made replicas of those historic firearms, they would not be allowed in the Antiques forum, but you could still discuss them in the Flintlock Rifles or Percussion Rifles (as appropriate) or General Muzzleloading sections.

What makes it an antique? That is still under discussion, but current forum rules imply a manufacture date of 1865 or earlier. I think the moderators will make a final decision on that and provide a cut-off date.

I hope all of that is clear. If the Antiques Forum should become a reality, I'm sure all of us would enjoy seeing some of your originals, including the relics!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

that name sounds a lot like a SCOTSCH ONE to me?
Ferguson was Scottish. --- He made approximately 100 rifles and issued them to some of his troops. They fought the Americans at least once and whipped us. British high command ordered all of the Ferguson rifles confiscated and destroyed. He had not gone thru the proper channels to obtain permission to make and issue his rifles. A handful of these guns were reported to have survived. --- Ferguson was killed at the Battle of Kings Mountain and thus ended his venture.

This is the best & most valuable forum for us history buffs hands down, we are indeed fortunate !!
When I started collecting & shooting black powder rifles & revolvers at 13 years old some 67 years ago while growing up in a small New Mexico town. There was no nearby clubs or knowledgeable individuals to get shooting tips from so I made many mistakes. After reaching my 20s I made black powder firearms my life & employment & traveled extensively to M/L shoots, rendezvous & gun shows coast to coast as a competitor & dealer & was fortunate to meet many great people who shared their knowledge with me.
At 80 with health issues I'm no longer able to hunt Idaho's mountains but like other forum members in my shoes we now have the opportunity to help out others in this great forum & keep our historical sport alive.
Seems a little unfair that my 160 year old plus firearms are in much better shape that I :oops:
relic shooter

thanks meriweather, I for one am looking forward to seeing history and reading history. I'm going to enjoy not only American guns but guns from all over the world and how they influenced our makers in the states. Bruce

Latest posts

Back