• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique Firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like a good idea to me. The American Longrifles Forum has sections specifically for antique guns and antique accoutrements, and both see plenty of participation. I think there may be a higher percentage of serious collectors and professional builders who study antique guns among the membership of that forum than here, but I think the Muzzleloading Forum may have a larger number of participating members overall, and discussion groups on the Muzzleloading Forum, focused on antiques, should see plenty of participation.

I would support the idea. Not that I have any clout around here, but I would be interested.

Notchy Bob

I would be very interested.

IMG_9423[1].JPG

I can get behind that!!

goulcher.jpggoulcher2.jpggoulcher3.jpggoulcher4.jpggoulcher9.jpg

Here's my Goulcher locked .375 long rifle. Not marked. Not real sure of an exact date. I'll say 1850's. The bridle screws are hand forged, and the tumbler has been repaired at some point in history. The trigger guard is soldered together from multiple pieces. It has a tapered ramrod with a hand forged iron patch worm on the small end. She's a CHONKER at 10lb 7oz. Still shoots great! There's just something about a plain jane rifle with a good walnut stock that gives me a tingle.

45gr 3f
.40 felt OP wad
.017 patch
.360 rb

What would the magic year be for such a forum to keep it interesting??
Any BP gun built earlier than .........lets say 1900??
Maybe some other earlier date?
I would also be interested in such a forum as long as replicas aren't posted.
If that happens, it becomes the same as any other forum.

Just thinking out loud.

Just thinking out loud.
Mark (@B P Maniac Shooter ) brings up a good point. I think most of us know (or at least believe we know) intuitively what makes an antique versus a “modern” gun, but having some objective criterion, such as a date, may be a good idea. Respectfully, I might suggest pushing the date up to World War One. There were still muzzle-loading rifles being built in the 19th century style up to at least that time, in the southern Appalachians.

I’ll check on the ALR forum, and see what sort of criteria they specify for inclusion.

I would also like to see an antique accoutrements forum, as a place to discuss real antique powder horns and flasks, pouches, chargers, knives, and so forth.

This could get interesting!

Notchy Bob

Just thinking out loud.
Yes, I agree on a build date with no repros, but the date of 1900 should be no later than 1855.ater this date will open the door to the breech loader such has the underlever hammer gun and more so the pinfire both of these ignitions are antique, but it does go against the forum of muzzle loaders.
Feltwad

Yes, I agree on a build date with no repros, but the date of 1900 should be no later than 1855.ater this date will open the door to the breech loader such has the underlever hammer gun and more so the pinfire both of these ignitions are antique, but it does go against the forum of muzzle loaders.
Feltwad
I think it should be understood by all of us here that this will still be the Muzzleloading Forum, and while a great many breechloaders are legitimate antiques, we would only be discussing antique muzzleloaders. The over-arching forum guidelines and rules would still apply. I envision the same sorts of discussions we have been having about antique muzzleloading guns, but the conversations regarding genuine antiques would have a place of their own. Members whose primary interest is in antiques can go directly there, without having to browse through the general forums to sift out the topics that interest them. A dedicated antiques forum would just be a sort of filter, to make preferred topics easier to find.

ADDENDUM: I copied and pasted the following directly from the general forum rules, except I made one sentence bold and lined-out the sentence which followed it. The forum has even given us a pre-determined cut-off date (1865)! These rules would still apply.

POSTS FOR BREECH LOADING GUNS:

Ӣ The firearm must have been made prior to 1865. Replicas of these guns are also acceptable.
[edited]

Ӣ The firearm must utilize an ignition system which is separate from any form or type of cartridge that may have been used to seal the breech or load the powder or the projectile.
The "cartridge" may incorporate a pan or similar device to hold priming powder.

Ӣ Vent ignited guns, Matchlocks, Wheel-locks, any form of Flintlock and its predecessors, Percussion cap and its predecessors are all acceptable for discussion.

Ӣ Discussion of needle guns, pinfire, rim fire, center fire and any similar cartridges containing priming devices or the firearms that use them is not permitted.

Ӣ Posts may be made in a suitable section such as, smoothbore, cannon, handgun, flintlock rifle or percussion rifle, based on the type of gun.
Posts in the General Muzzleloading section is recommended.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Back