• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique Firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BEFORE 1899*** makes it a NON-firearm, at least Federally. Should make it easier to move such items across state lines.

*** NOT "before 1898" which some people think is
Here is a photo of muzzleloading shooters at the National Rifle Club match in Vernon VT held September 2nd 1896. Muzzleloading did not die out in 1865 at the end of the US War Between the States nor with Federal US legislation from modern times stating 1898 or 1899.

Attachments

• CS-01.jpg
    CS-01.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
let's keep it at the original date and not open the door to breech loaders it then ceases to be a muzzle loading forum.
I started this thread because if I wanted to enter a certain type of ignition, I had to find a forum which was suitable which to some did not go well .For what has been said about the cutoff date will cause a lot of trouble in the future
Feltwad

I’d opt for the end of WW I, the whole World changed after that event and it’s now over 100 years ago and a commonly held opinion is that an antique is over 100 years old (but set the date in concrete to stop bracket creep). WW I was also the lasr war in which some soldiers had muzzle loaders as Britain sold or gave the desperate Russians a considerable number of .577 Enfields, though they were probably only used for training. (don’t ask for a reference but I probably read it in ‘Muzzle Blasts’).

let's keep it at the original date and not open the door to breech loaders it then ceases to be a muzzle loading forum.
I started this thread because if I wanted to enter a certain type of ignition, I had to find a forum which was suitable which to some did not go well .For what has been said about the cutoff date will cause a lot of trouble in the future
Feltwad

You are in charge of setting parameters of the forum you are asking for. I am seeing several date range options and what types, etc. There are too many variables to say yes or no to at this time.

So, can you do a summary of what the parameters are that you are suggesting. That will give more exact information we can discuss.

Thanks.

Meriwether
All I can give is my view has to an original antique muzzle loader which covers original matchlocks, wheel locks, flintlocks, percussion locks with different ignitions, tube, patch, pill, with a cutoff date of 1860.
No repros or breech loading cartridge guns or rifles and pistols. For muzzle loaders built between 1860 to1900 care is needed by the moderators to clarify that they are original and not a repro. these are what I personally consider has antique some members may say no but it is up to the moderators to decide
Feltwad

I would respectfully agree with all of that, except for the cut-off date, which I would push back to 1865. This would allow discussion of some of the post-1860 percussion revolvers and muzzle-loading rifle muskets from the time of the American Civil War. The 1865 date would also keep this new board consistent with existing forum rules. I wholeheartedly agree with @Feltwad regarding all of the other details.

Thank you!

Notchy Bob

I would respectfully agree with all of that, except for the cut-off date, which I would push back to 1865. This would allow discussion of some of the post-1860 percussion revolvers and muzzle-loading rifle muskets from the time of the American Civil War. The 1865 date would also keep this new board consistent with existing forum rules. I wholeheartedly agree with @Feltwad regarding all of the other details.

Thank you!

Notchy Bob
Yes, 1865 would be a better end. And I’m not against going till 1899. But there has to be an end date.

Okay. I'm checking on one more thing. It does seem to have a good bit of interest. If/when it is set up, I'll have to see which parameters that are mentioned in this thread are the most mentioned and the ones that can be done and keep the forum, being this forum. I think you know what I mean.

And you can still post more information.

Back