• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique Finish 1860 Army?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyWhiskers

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a Pietta 1860 Army, unfired. Seems to be in perfect mechanical shape. I'd like to re-finish the metal to look older and used. Any ideas? GW

I just used Birchwood Casey's blue/rust remover on mine and achieved great results. In fact I didn't do anything else to the guns and they looked just like antiqued guns did. :thumbsup:

I'm not usually a proponent of "antiquing" guns, but did do a new Uberti a couple of years ago. I used bleach on the metal parts and lightly used #0000 steel wool to take off the gloss of the grips.
BleachedColtc.jpg

Lon, wish I kept them. I actually had made a web page showing the process and everything else I did with the pistols but unfortunately I needed space and ended up deleting a lot of pics I had stored. :( I'm sure I have them stored somewhere on an old hard drive but its one of those things I'll probably find a year from now when not lookin for em. I can tell you they came out nice enough that someone here bought them from me.

No matter what you do I would think the first step would be to use Birchwood Caseys stuff or Navel Jelly to take off the bluing. The pistol looks great then except no pitting which some might want...

Thanks for the ideas and pics, guys. :thumbsup: I'm not sure what I want it to look like except it just looks too "new" now. When I'm done I'll post pics. GW

I have an original you can go by and if you followed Swampy's advice and used Birchwood Caseys blue remover it would be close to this.
P1000412-1.jpg

If only it could talk, Deadeye

Grey Whiskers said:
Deadeye said:
If only it could talk, Deadeye

That's for sure. Great gun! Thanks for the pic.

BTW- Did the original 1860 Armys have engraved cylinders? GW
Lon, according to Serven's book "Colt Firearms (from 1836)", there were 2 types of cylinders- round and full-fluted. The round cylinders were roll engraved with a ship scene like the '51 Navies. However, my original '60 does not have that scene on the cylinder, at least that I can see using magnification. The patent date is clearly seen so I would think if the scene were there it would be visible also. Kinda shows something about generalities...

After your remove the bluing, either use Naval Jelly or Casey's. Then you can wrap it in cheesecloth and soak with white vinegar, leave it until it looks like you want then carefully rub down. Repeat the vinegar bathing until you get that (je ne sais qua) look. Now it's a matter of you rubbing with burlap and/or 00000 steel wool until you reach Inner Nirvana. Oil it and clean it etc. enjoy----"Doc"

Everything I've ever read on the subject says that all of the Colt round cylinder guns were roll engraved with a scene appropriate to the model.

Because the roll engraving is not deep it doesn't take much to wear or corrode it off.
150 years of handling can easily explain why the engraving is no longer visible.

Colt used the roll engraved scenes so the owners would know they had a "real" Colt pistol.

Here are my '51 & '60 repops with holsters I made for them. The top holster is a left handed Slim Jim attached to the back of a home made shoulder pouch. Got that idea from one of the Comancheros in "The Outlaw Josie Wells". That pouch had the holster on the front flap which seemed impractical so I placed the holster behind the pouch. The 1860 is currently wearing a Kirst Konverter for .45 Colt. The original engraved percussion cylinder can still be installed in a moment, I just forgot to change it before the photo.
2colts-1.jpg

Zonie said:
Everything I've ever read on the subject says that all of the Colt round cylinder guns were roll engraved with a scene appropriate to the model.

Because the roll engraving is not deep it doesn't take much to wear or corrode it off.
150 years of handling can easily explain why the engraving is no longer visible.

Colt used the roll engraved scenes so the owners would know they had a "real" Colt pistol.
Yeah Zonie, you are most likely right. Serven says "The round cylinder is roll-engraved with a ship scene similar to that on Navy pistols". I've tried to see a scene on my '60 ever since I got it, to no avail. It isn't corroded but it is a brown gun and brown does tend to hide surface marks. It's in otherwise good condition, all matching numbers.

Back