• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Woodsrunner in the crowd.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got it finished today. They all look the same except for the finish, but that is OK. I just wanted to do one for the experience. It is a very well done kit. Almost too well done. I started to beat it up some, but decided to wait until the next one. This one may find a new home after I shoot it.

IMG-0201.jpgIMG-0203.jpgIMG-0205.jpgIMG-0209.jpgIMG-0208.jpgIMG-0204.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-0207.jpg
    IMG-0207.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
It is a .54.

For those interested here are the assembly tasks:

1. Remove the machining cutter marks from the buttplate and nosecap and polish them.
2. Drawfile the cutter marks off the barrel. Might not be needed if you are browning it.
3. Polish the lock and remove the casting flash. I don't like to see the casting mold joint on parts.
4. Clean up and polish the triggerguard and ram rod pipes.
5. Remove the sharp edges on the sideplate.
6. Install the latch on the patchbox lid and file the catch step to make a solid catch on the buttplate. I also bent it some more. As received, it didn't latch up very well.
7. Remove the trigger to round and polish the top of the bar. Not really needed, but I didn't like the sharp corners on the top.
8. Fit the nosecap and put screws in it.
9. Install sights. I replaced the back sight for a higher one.
10. Assemble and taper the ramrod. After assembly, I just stained it and waxed it.
11. Sand and finish the stock.
12. I used brass black on just about everything to color the brass a little.
13. Final assembly. Drill out the too tight pin holes and install the pins.

It was the Transtint Honey Amber diluted 6-1 with denatured alcohol. Transtint dyes are a bit expensive but 2oz. of concentrate makes 12 oz. after it is diluted. You'll have plenty of stain.

Laurel Mountain sealer. One flood coat then after it dried and had the thick spots rubbed out, two finger-rubbed thin coats to avoid any more thick spots. The wood has some texture. It wasn't sanded mirror smooth. I used iron nitrate and diluted Transtint Honey Amber to give some color in the light areas.

Last edited:
Back