• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Roach Belly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Howdy folks:
Here's another Roach Belly and sheath I just finished. Please see what you think before I decide whether to list it?
Business is terrible, so this may be the last item I make/show? I withdrew everything else I had listed. Maybe it IS just the economy and this inflation? In any event I hope you like it? Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Attachments

• Roach Belly 001.JPG
    Roach Belly 001.JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Roach Belly 002.JPG
    Roach Belly 002.JPG
    485.4 KB · Views: 0
You are right. Nothing seems to be moving, even with what was called very reasonable prices only 6 months ago.

Beautiful knife. Roach bellies can be particularly handy if you are dealing with game and meat often.

You are right. Nothing seems to be moving, even with what was called very reasonable prices only 6 months ago.

Beautiful knife. Roach bellies can be particularly handy if you are dealing with game and meat often.
chorizo:
Thank ya.' buddy. Yeah, a few months back everyone was telling me I don't charge enough? Now if I ask more that a buck, my wares set here or 6 weeks at a time until I withdraw them. I'm considering pulling my vendor status and giving this up. I guess that's what the government wants....everyone to just give up? That's OK...once everything "gas powderd" is outlawed, I won't be able to run my forge anyway? I'm NOT trying to turn this into a political thread! That's just MY opinion, so I don't want this to get out of hand. Thank you for your time and insights.:~)))
Yeah, my Roach Bellies are great for dressing any kind of big game.
God bless:
Two Feathers

@Two Feathers I used to make knives back when, but not forge them (had the blanks cut out from an old two person spring steel whip saw with a plasma cutter a friend had)

If people realized the work involved, they would see that you are making pennies per hour for the hours you put into them with the prices you are asking.

But don't give up yet. These are the "dog days of summer". People will start reviving when they get back into the field and realize what they need and want is right here.

I rounded and dulled the tip on one of the roach bellies I have and used it for butchering lambs. Push it right up between the skin and the carcass without cutting anything and the belly peals the hide open as you go. Better than a gut hook.

Keep at it, build your inventory and it will move.

Best of luck, Sir.

@Two Feathers I used to make knives back when, but not forge them (had the blanks cut out from an old two person spring steel whip saw with a plasma cutter a friend had)

If people realized the work involved, they would see that you are making pennies per hour for the hours you put into them with the prices you are asking.

But don't give up yet. These are the "dog days of summer". People will start reviving when they get back into the field and realize what they need and want is right here.

I rounded and dulled the tip on one of the roach bellies I have and used it for butchering lambs. Push it right up between the skin and the carcass without cutting anything and the belly peals the hide open as you go. Better than a gut hook.

Keep at it, build your inventory and it will move.

Best of luck, Sir.
chorizo
I feel bad that I misrepresented myself, I'm NOT a Black Smith. I DO smith some small items, but NOT blades. I use the "Stock Removal" method like you did. I only use my two forges for smithing small items; like staples, vent picks, Awls and other miscellaneous goods. I use my forges for heat treating and annealing piano wire. I'm sorry if my statement mislead you and the members and I apologize to the REAL Black Smiths here.
I'm also sorry to hear that you messed up your Roach Belly tip, but I'm sure you've straightened it out by now. You won't find a much better blade design for handling bigger game OR lambs, than a Roach Belly.
Thank you for your time to comment. I won't give up.....yet?
God bless:
Two Feathers

Howdy folks:
Here's another Roach Belly and sheath I just finished. Please see what you think before I decide whether to list it?
Business is terrible, so this may be the last item I make/show? I withdrew everything else I had listed. Maybe it IS just the economy and this inflation? In any event I hope you like it? Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers
Really nice

I rounded it on purpose! I made it like the knife I used in the packing houses when I worked in them. Basically a specialty blade. a Skinner is too rounded, but a roach belly works perfectly if you round the tip and dull it. My turn to knife when doing lamb, deer or elk to get the hide off.

I could never see how you could sell your blades at the prices you did if you were hand forging. Now I know. Nothing wrong with doing stock removal. In fact, you get a more consistent blade by doing so.

And I just realized, you're just a hop, jump and a skip from me. Catawissa here.
Thingamigiggy:
I'm wandering where our resident Bentonian is? ERHunter is from Benton. If we played our cards right, and I was in good enough health, the 3 of us could start our own BP club around here? :~)))))
God bless:
Two Feathers

It's a beautiful knife and sheath . Making a few items like that may actually be good for your health. It encourages you to get up and move around and encourages you to stay active on the forum. One of the worse things you can do when your not feeling good is to isolate yourself and become inactive. Take care my friend.

Beautiful knife and sheath! Dave, don’t ever give up! You are a craftsman, and a damn honest man. I’m proud of the things you have made that I own. People are holding on to their money. It’s not a barometer of your skill or desire for what you make. It’s just what all small businesses are dealing with that deal in items that aren’t absolutely necessary for life. I own one of those businesses myself. There’s a slow down for my industry in the very near future. It’s a crappy cycle that I’ve endured for the last 27 years of self employment. Keep doing what you do, if it’s what you enjoy. It will come back around to you, always does for me.

Back