• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve done a few of these and have found them to be over all pretty good. This one has very good machine work on the wood, better than others I’ve done. With some detailing this can be a dandy pistol.

Started doing some cosmetic and functional work. Shaping of the wood, removing casting seams, de-burring lock parts, removed the instructions from the barrel, and eliminated the plug screw in the bolster. Then for appearances re- shaped the bolster with more rounded contours.
IMG_0525 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0526 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Can you checker? That may be a nice touch on the grip. It looks like it will be a nice pistol with the right color and finish.

The lock plate and hammer has been annealed so casting seams, ejector pins and flaws can be filed out. Not only will this look better but the lock should work smoother. Also the breech anti chamber will be smoothed and internal corners blended. This chamber holds about 25 grains of powder for those interested.
IMG_0527 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

The wood is down to the final sanding and to check for scratches, file marks or flat spots water based stain has been applied. Using backing blocks the final grit removes the color exposing things like this spot between the escutcheon and the lock panel. Soon I can start the metal finish.
IMG_0528 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

On a gun with removable escutcheons and a key I like to add a pin to keep the key from being lost. Drilling a 1/16” hole at each end a jeweler saw connects them then a slotting wheel widens it till jeweler files fits threw to even up the slot. A notch is carved under the escutcheon to receive the pin. I find this easier than drilling a hole for the pin.
IMG_0529 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back